Select to view content in your preferred language

Reuse Forms

Monday
DeanAbrahams
Emerging Contributor

There must be a way to make a bunch of forms on a layer that is reused in other maps (or even the same map that is reused over and over) but not bring the data that is acquired in the field into other maps in the future. 

I believe this blog post addresses this but the steps do not work for me reuse forms 

No one wants to recreate oft-used forms, maybe others have ideas?

I would like to be able to create forms on a grouped nested layer and then have those forms be able to be reused in their original state (without data) so that new data can be recorded on the next project and so on. Hard to explain - sorry 😉

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

There is a way making use of ArcGIS Assistant to copy formInfo from the layer to a new layer.

In ArcGIS Online  add a new item.

MarkBockenhauer_0-1727726271632.png

Choose Feature Layer and then choose your existing feature layer that your form is using.

MarkBockenhauer_1-1727726352138.png

updating with missed step

once the new layer is created.

Add the layer to a new map and save that map.

Open the new map in field maps designer.

Add one formElement to it, and save the form to the layer.

MarkBockenhauer_2-1727792676991.png

Note: In order to edit the JSON in ArcGIS Assistant their needs to be something to edit.  If the data is empty the ArcGIS Assistant won't show the Edit JSON button.

For your source map that has the Form that you want to use with a new layer, you need to make sure that you have saved that form to the layer as well using field maps designer.  

source form

MarkBockenhauer_2-1727726419917.png

Use ArcGIS Assistant to copy the formInfo from your source layer.

Select formInfo and copy.

MarkBockenhauer_4-1727726524475.png

Then open your new layer in ArcGIS Assistant, Edit Json on Data tab,  Remove the formInfo and Copy in the source formInfo, and save.

another edit

If the source layer has multiple layers take care to only copy the formInfo from the desired layer and only replace the formInfo section in the new layer.  

A few manual steps, but it should work.  A new layer with no features and the same schema, including formInfo.   Also if you saved the popupinfo and symbol rendering to the layer, you can clone that as well with the same process.   You can save that stuff to the layer on the layer items visualization tab.

0 Kudos
DeanAbrahams
Emerging Contributor

Thanks I really appreciate the well organized info. 

I think I might have missed a step. In trying it out, where you say "Make sure you saved the form to the layer.  This can be done in field maps designer," is this step something that was set up already when I set up the original layer and forms or do I have to do something else in Field Designer at this point? 

When I do the steps I get this at the point of "copy in the FormInfo into the new layer...

Screenshot 2024-09-30 194134.png

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Oops.. I missed a step.

Add your new layer to a new webmap and save it.

Open the new webmap in field maps designer.

add one form Element to it.  (info or group would work)

Then Save the form to the layer.

Refresh ArcGIS Assistant (if you already have it open) 

Open the layer...

and the Edit JSON button will be available on the data tab.

MarkBockenhauer_1-1727792258651.png

Replace the formInfo with your desired formInfo.

0 Kudos
DeanAbrahams
Emerging Contributor

Ok - I appreciate your input and patience. I think I'm almost with you! To copy the formInfo do I just highlight and copy? and then paste like normal things - sorry - I have no experience with JSON and it looks scary to me 😉

Do I just follow the line down - I'm confused as to exactly what and how to copy on this Data tab.

0 Kudos