Select to view content in your preferred language

Published Feature Service displays in Collector but not Field Maps

Jump to solution
02-04-2021 08:44 AM
EmilyKnippel
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning,

I am working on migrating my editable field work map from Collector to Field Maps application. Currently our team's workflow is publishing a feature service from our Oracle Database using ArcMap 10.7.1 to the Server and adding that feature service REST URL into an ArcGIS Online map. That map is then used by our field crews in Collector and the layers display and can be edited. I can see that same map in Field Maps however the layers are not visible and immediately display an error message "Layer failed to load".  I am having a difficult time finding documentation on this so any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
EmilyKnippel
Occasional Contributor

Yeah I took it one step at a time so I started fresh with a new map document, added in the feature class I was using, and then from there published each step along the way to figure out which definition query or fields needed to be on/off for it to work.

I was using IOS devices. I don't have access to an Android device so unfortunately I did not test on it.

Thanks and you're welcome!
Emily

JessicaJThompson
Frequent Contributor

Hello Glen,

I am having the  "Layer failed to load" issue. It happens periodically, and seemingly unpredictably. I have gone through and made sure all of my attributes are turned on. There is no change. Some of my layers are working and some are not. Unfortunately, they are the two that I need in order to test my configurations with Survey123, using a custom URL with a callback. 

I am using and iOS -ipad. The layers are appearing on AGOL, & ArcGIS Pro. 2 Layers are not working: One is hosted on a server and one is hosted on AGOL. Other layers hosted by the same server are loading. 

I would love some help troubleshooting. This is mindboggling. I am getting weary of using Field maps, and maybe should redirect my efforts to a configurable app. 

I appreciate the help!

Jessica Thompson

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi Jessica,

No worries, let's take a look.
Could you clarify the following:

• Were these layers published from ArcGIS Pro and do you still have the project file?
  • Are there subtypes and/or domains configured for these layers' schema?
  • Are you taking this web map offline when the issue occurs?
  • Do you have any of these layers added to the web map more than once? (i.e. perhaps with different definition queries added to them?)
  • Can you add these particular layers to a new web map and reproduce the behaviour?
  • Are there any custom symbology/pop-ups/definition-queries/labels configured for these particular layers?

Thanks,

Glen.

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Thanks for providing your resolution to this issue Emily!

For any other people coming across this issue, we've also noted another cause:

ArcGIS Pro allows us to add a domain to a field and then subsequently add a subtype over the top of it. I'm not sure of a use-case for this performance, as we would usually do this the other way around (i.e. add a subtype to a field and then add domains to the subtype options). Applying a domain and then a subtype, prevents the domain from being removed from the field. It also causes performance issues after this layer is published to a web portal and consumed through ArcGIS Field Maps:

Android - "Domain Already Exists"
iOS - "Layer Failed to Load"

The workaround for this, is to remove the subtype from the field, remove the initially applied domain, then re-apply the subtype.