Select to view content in your preferred language

Public Data Collection & User Roles - PORTAL

4 weeks ago
leahmaps
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

TLDR First; Can I turn on public data collection & let non-editor roles still create points in PORTAL field maps?

I am trying to create a form for our staff to report issues within our maps, starting first with our water utilities. I am hoping to do this in Field Maps so field staff can easily access it through the app they already use and have installed. Each of these users is already registered in portal and are primarily VIEWER users.

Is there a way to bypass the user role as to let everyone submit to 1 issue layer? I am hoping that some settings of the map/group/public data collection would allow for this, but so far I can't seem to find anything that is working.

I appreciate any help that people are able to give! We are trying to avoid using Survey123 as we want it to be as simple as possible and be map-centric.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Mostly, the answer is "no". A user can interact with maps on Field Maps, but without the Field Worker user type license, they won't be able to edit anything, even if the layer permits public editing.

One way around this is to configure the feature popup to include a link, which opens a Survey123 form in the web context. I know, you're trying to avoid Survey123, but it might be the only way to make a "smart form" that Viewer users can actually submit to. But by linking to the survey from Field Maps, you can keep most of the work happening in a map-centric context.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos