Select to view content in your preferred language

New values added to a domain not available for new feature type

02-05-2021 03:38 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a feature service in AGOL...originally published with a "point type" domain (list of values) about a year ago.  I use this layer in a map -- and it is symbolized in the map using this "point type" domain.  

Today, I added additional values to the "point type" domain.  I added the values to the map in the map viewer, symbolized them, and saved.

In Field Maps (or Collector), when I go to add a new point, these new values are not an option.  However, if I add a point of one of the original domain values, I can then switch it to one of the new values.  It will then display properly in the map.

Is there a way to fix this?  This is also happening with other layers in my map.

Thanks!

Matt

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
MauritsKoenders
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin, I ran into the same issue here. Your tip helped me out, thnx!

PS: In order to do so you need to use the 'old' map viewer.

PeterDalrymple
Occasional Contributor

@KevinBurke is it possible to manage editing templates in Map Viewer yet? I have this same issue in Field Maps (i.e. coded domain value added in AGOL post-publish is not being recognized by the editing template in Field Maps). When viewing the editing template in Map Viewer Classic, the coded domain value I added since the feature was published is recognized, therefore, I can't apply your suggested fix. Do you have any other suggestions? Alternatively, is there an option in Field Maps to not use the editing template for adding new features and instead allow users to begin adding a new feature and then select the domain value used for symbology from a required pick list? The benefit to this would be a shorter list when adding new features. Interestingly, the new domain value is still reflected in the form drop down list for the field which contains the new domain value when you collect a new point of a different type in the editing template. Essentially, Field Maps sees the new domain value in the form, but not in the editing template.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

JohnsCreekGIS
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue. I have updated the domain for my symbology and it doesn't show up in Map Viewer as an option to add. It still has the old domains that I removed as options to create; however, if you try to create them, it doesn't let you because it is no longer a record in the domain.

Thank you!

AdamGaudet
New Contributor III

I am also having the same issue: having to do the update as suggested by @KevinBurke in Map Viewer Classic, though when I do so I lose symbology for the original domains in both Map Viewer and Field Maps, which of course can be re-symbolized but this is an annoying extra step. Symbology for newly added domains do appear (which is what we wanted in the first place), though again I have to re-symbolize the original domain data.

Also, is there a simple way to look at the JSON (as @KevinBurke suggests) as opposed to downloading it (an extra step) and then looking at it from there? Is there any place in ArcGIS Online to do that?

0 Kudos
JohnsCreekGIS
New Contributor III

I ended up overwriting my layer from exporting the layers into a file geodatabase in ArcPro and making the necessary changes to the domains there and then overwriting the existing hosted feature layer. It was time consuming but none of the other work arounds were fitting my specific needs.

AdamGaudet
New Contributor III

I thought to do this too if all else failed but the Map Viewer Classic update as suggest by @KevinBurke worked for me. That said, I might try it this way if this were to happen again. It does seem silly to have jump through so many hoops for something you would assume would get updated when new domains are entered.

0 Kudos