Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps screen rotation in 10-inch tablets

08-27-2023 12:17 AM
Y_Chau
by
Occasional Contributor

Field Maps doesn't rotate to landscape on 8-inch tablets, that is understood and accepted. We are trying to work with a 10-inch tablet, and it doesn't rotate to landscape even on this one. It is a very good device with an RTK GNSS board and helix antenna attached on the long edge. Excellent GNSS performance, great screen, good hardware, only this screen rotation problem. So, what is this, an OS problem or device hardware, screen resolution or any FM compatibility issue? Device link: ALGIZ RT10 RTK - Handheld (handheldgroup.com)

UPDATE: Both Survey123 and QuickCapture work in landscape mode on this tablet.

So what is wrong in Field Maps? Any helpful advice is welcome.

Sincerely

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I will go out on a limb and say there is nothing wrong with Field Maps.  It was designed to be the most efficient for use on a mobile device, which is most often going to be phones.  Auto rotation, especially with very large web maps could cause performance issues.

Auto rotate for many users I think could be cumbersome and irritating.  You can manually rotate the map with 2 fingers.  However, labels will stay anchored to portrait

0 Kudos
Y_Chau
by
Occasional Contributor

@RobertBorchert In new devices you can lock the display in any mode, be it portrait or landscape, so it doesn't switch display modes while handling the device. This solves the cumbersome / irritating issue.

Most maps are best viewed in landscape mode. Otherwise we would have our monitors turned sideways in office. If I can get the same experience in the field would be great. In some maps I have 100s of very dense layers. Large display makes it a lot better. Luckily 10-inch display is large enough for landscape viewing. Combine top class RTK performance with this display and you are in business.

Its not a performance issue. FM doesn't turn to landscape even at login screen.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Y_Chau ,

Generally speaking a 10" tablet should support rotation but ultimately the cutoff is not the screen size but pixel density. There is a developer setting in Field Maps Android that should give this info about your device. When signed in, tap the profile settings in the top right of your Maps list, then tap on your username 3 times rapidly. The first row in the developer settings window should give you the device form factor based on the predetermined Field Maps cutoffs, followed by the screen density values.

The team is evaluating changes to the specific cutoffs in the future as we do frequently hear customers on smaller model tablets want to utilize landscape mode as well. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Having the same issue with a user.  Do you know what the cutoff is?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

I believe the value is anything greater than 601dp for the width will support landscape view. This isnt always directly translatable from screen size and it is sometimes quite difficult to uncover this value from a manufacturer; that is one of the reasons we added the developer setting I mentioned above to verify the value.

Again, we are re-evaluating this cutoff for a future release and hope to support some additional devices in landscape mode. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

That's really handy info thanks Colin. 

0 Kudos
Y_Chau
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi @ColinLawrence it would be great if this is implemented soon. Both Survey123 and QuickCapture don't have this limitation. I don't believe high pixel density adds any value to map viewing or performance.

Sincerely

0 Kudos