Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps crashing while GPS Averaging or streaming tracks

05-18-2022 08:58 AM
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

I submitted a ticket to ESRI over a week ago but they have not yet been able to tell me the cause of the issue. I'm wondering if others are experiencing this issue? After moving to 22.1.2, our users are reporting Field Maps crashes while GPS averaging (100 points) or streaming tracks. They had no issues with this last year on the same devices but using an earlier version of Field Maps. 

Tablet = Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3, 64gb & 4GB RAM
OS = Android version 11

All of the users have at least half of the storage space available on their devices. 

If any other Android users are willing to test and report back, more information would help us to determine whether the problem is with our hardware or map or a software release issue. 

16 Replies
blundee
New Contributor

@ColinLawrence our users are collecting points on the devices that @Strahanjen mentioned above using version 22.2.  The work flow is this, user stands in a stream, presses the blue collect button (+) in the bottom right corner of the screen and selects the feature layer where they want this information reflected.  Once the feature layer is selected the averaging begins.  I was out earlier this week implementing this work flow and provided @Strahanjen the information in this post.  What I experienced was that the during some period of the averaging process (not at every point I was attempting to collect, but frequently enough) the Field Maps app "black out" and I would return to the home screen of the Android device.  However when I would utilize the (|||) button to bring up all the apps I had open Field Maps would still be there.  This issue has occurred as well when streaming, we have our stream set to the default 10ft increments; see attachment for specific settings on the device.  If interested and helpful, I would be happy to setup a Microsoft Teams call to share a live demonstration of this issue.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@blundee @Strahanjen Do you know how far into the streaming process you experience this behavior? Or maybe its easier to answer... how long are the typical line/polygon features on average?

Regards,
Colin
blundee
New Contributor

@ColinLawrence users are reporting getting  ~100 ft of the stream before it crashes.

0 Kudos
Miranda-Mastrocola
Esri Contributor

Hi Folks, 

To devote as many resources as possible to troubleshoot this issue we are working in Technical Support with Colin from the ArcGIS Field Maps team to better understand why this is occurring. We have support case #03060182 open with @Strahanjen

We are currently trying to reproduce the behavior with the same device or a different Android device in-house. Any added videos or visualizations of the crashing behavior while GPS averaging or streaming in Field Maps would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Miranda,

Support Analyst for the ArcGIS Online Team 

Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

@ColinLawrence @Miranda-Mastrocola Another forum user who is also reporting crashing while streaming, tested GPS averaging with 100 points on his Android device. Field Maps also crashed for him. See this thread, where he has posted information regarding his device along with a log file: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-questions/app-crash-latest-build-22-1-2/m-p/1176259#...

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I feel it is an Android Issue.  I just created a new service and published it. 

Loaded it on my phone, started streaming and took my dog for a half mile walk.  Got home and stopped streaming and it worked just fine. 

iPhone XR

0 Kudos
Miranda-Mastrocola
Esri Contributor

Hello Everyone, 

We have logged the following defect for this behavior: BUG-000149921- ArcGIS Field Maps app closing or producing blank screen while using GPS Averaging and collecting 50+ points on specific Android tablets.

If there are any new users who are experiencing this behavior, please contact Esri Support Services to report the issue and get attached to the defect. 

To call into customer service, use 1 (888) 377-4575. Thanks all!

@Strahanjen @blundee @BryceChristie 

Best,

Miranda

0 Kudos