Default Values - Not Shown and Not Configurable Using Field Maps with Published Feature Layers from Enterprise GDB

Jump to solution
05-25-2022 05:41 PM
rsun_TQB
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All

Default Values are not shown and are not configurable using Field Maps with published feature layers directly from Enterprise GDB (not hosted service).

Is this normal? We are using ArcGIS Enterprise10.9.1.

It sucks... make Field Maps pretty much useless.

Any ways to bypass this? 

Thanks a lot,

Reno

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JustinReynolds

@rsun_TQB Thanks.  I pulled it down because I knew it was likely only applicable to hosted services.  I didn't notice at first that your question pertained to Enterprise GDB's.  I didn't want to mislead others coming to this thread.

It is good to know of this current limitation with Enterprise GDB's as I'm about to move in that direction and this might give me pause or at least something to vet as we look to move in this direction. 

- Justin Reynolds, PE

View solution in original post

tkeith1106
New Contributor

I hope I interpreted your issue correctly but if you haven't tried it yet one thing you can do is ensure you have a grey box (not blue) in your feature template properties on the attributes tab (sometimes have to change the value to something else then back or select a different domain and back) and it should go green, then you can overwrite your service and the default value will now carry through to field maps

View solution in original post

20 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@rsun_TQB at this time, this is by design, Field Maps web app doesn't support changes to non-hosted feature layers that involve either adding new fields or updating the default value for Feature Templates.

The recommended workflow would be to configure your schema; fields and default values in ArcGIS Pro (it looks like you're doing that in your first screenshot) and then use the Field Maps web app to configure the Form for us in the Field Maps mobile app.

Craig

rsun_TQB

Hi @CraigGillgrass ,

Thank you for your reply. I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3 with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1. If this is by design, I believe it's a poor design. I configured my schema and default values of them on enterprise GDB using Pro, but still the default values won't be used by Filed maps configuration or map.

Esri support respond to me it's a known BUG-000143612. 

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds

@rsun_TQB Thanks.  I pulled it down because I knew it was likely only applicable to hosted services.  I didn't notice at first that your question pertained to Enterprise GDB's.  I didn't want to mislead others coming to this thread.

It is good to know of this current limitation with Enterprise GDB's as I'm about to move in that direction and this might give me pause or at least something to vet as we look to move in this direction. 

- Justin Reynolds, PE
rsun_TQB

Hi @JustinReynolds ,

It make me feel that Esri is having a very poor QA/QC of their product.

It make me want to move everything to ArcGIS Online...but it may have more significant issues waiting on that side of the fence.

Thank you so much for your reply still~

AaronCole1
Occasional Contributor

It's funny reading this post. I'm dealing with the same thing now and just told my colleague, 'Screw it, let's just push everything into hosted features services.' Not sure I'm quite ready to bite that bullet, but seeing where ESRI has come in the last 10 years, 10 years from now it's all going to be service oriented architecture. We can just be early adopters by going all in today.

tkeith1106
New Contributor

I hope I interpreted your issue correctly but if you haven't tried it yet one thing you can do is ensure you have a grey box (not blue) in your feature template properties on the attributes tab (sometimes have to change the value to something else then back or select a different domain and back) and it should go green, then you can overwrite your service and the default value will now carry through to field maps

rsun_TQB

Hi @tkeith1106 !

Yes, you are my hero! It resolved the issue that couldn't have default values on Field Maps or New Web Map Viewer. We can now use both contingency values + default value!

Fantastic! and hope ArcGIS Enterprise 11 will make this a little bit more intuitive!

Many thanks again!

Reno

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@rsun_TQB 

I think you are running into BUG-000146561 and/or BUG-000146187 which are issues with publishing from Pro. The workaround is basically what @tkeith1106  mentioned.

JustinReynolds

Hey Aaron, both the links are broken now.  We logged a case around this topic back in late 2020. And the bug number and description was as follows:

BUG-000135141 : ArcGIS Portal Hosted Services do not honor Feature Templates default values in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2

It says it was resolve in 2.9 but I still get weird behavior in Pro 2.9.4 to Portal 10.9.1.  Our solution was to hard code the templates in the layer file or do as @tkeith1106  mentioned as well.

And the issue as described in our case:

In ArcGIS Pro 2.6.1 & 2.6.2, the GUI for the Manage Templates Pane shows that the feature templates exist... both auto generated and when manually deleted and recreated.  We can check the properties of the individual templates for any layer in the map and everything looks normal (all the default values are correct).  If we then publish that layer as a hosted service to Enterprise 10.7.1, the feature templates are not honored beyond the field that controls symbology (unique renderer).  While investigating the cause we saved the layer to a *.lyrx and the map to a *.mapx files.  A look at the JSON for both yields an issue and makes it obvious why the hosted service doesn't honor the feature templates... looks like there is nothing to honor from the Map CIM Object.  Notice in 2.6 that the toolProjID is all zeros and the default values only include the field controlling symbology.
The project, map and layer was authored in 2.6.x.  We then opened the project in 2.5.x, saved it and then saved the layer as .lyrx and the map as .mapx to inspect the JSON were everything appears normal.  The results from both are below.

- Justin Reynolds, PE