Can't configure fields in Web map search layer without having popup enabled

Jump to solution
12-17-2021 02:52 PM
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

I have created a Web map for offline editing in Field Maps.  I included a point layer of addresses (with color=Null, and don't show in legend) just to have offline search capabilities.

rzufelt_0-1639781230026.png

Seems to be working, however, I do NOT want to have popups enabled for this layer.

If popups are enabled and I search for a street name (should be many addresses on that street), I get a list showing the results with the address as the popup title.

WithPopup.jpg

Click on the one you want, and it will take you to the location (as it should).

However, I do NOT want popups enabled, and without them, the search still works, but just repeats "No Title" for every result, which is essentially worthless.

NoPopup.jpg

Is there a way to show the actual search result title without also having popups enabled?

Thanks for any insight,

R_

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@rzufeltI see what you mean. This is what I see for Android and iOS:

Map Viewer Classic Authored (Online)Map Viewer Authored (Online)Map Viewer Authored (Ad-hoc or Pre-planned Offline)
AaronPulver_1-1640913623966.png

AaronPulver_2-1640913640228.png

AaronPulver_4-1640914090475.png

So yeah there's definitely something weird going on with the offline areas when the map is authored with the new Map Viewer. When the map is authored with Map Viewer Classic and the pop-up title is removed, there's no title to even show so that's expected based.

So I think there's two things there:

1. There's a bug when taking a map offline that the pop-up title isn't displayed. I'll log an internal issue for this.

2. There's a bug/enhancement to show something other than "No Title" (perhaps the displayField value for the layer or nothing at all). I'll log this internally too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@rzufeltThe pop-up title is used where you see "No Title". How are you disabling the pop-up?

It looks like if you use Map Viewer Classic and click "Remove Pop-up" it is actually removing the entire pop-up configuration so then there is no title that Field Maps can read and use there. If you disable the pop-up using the new Map Viewer it appears to keep the pop-up configuration but it will no longer display the pop-ups. So I think if you use the new Map Viewer and configure a pop-up with a title, then save the map. Then disable the pop-up and save it again it should work how you want.

If you do not want any title there, are you suggesting it should be blank? We could potentially fallback to the display field for the layer in the future.

0 Kudos
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

I have tested with both.

I "disable" the popup by turning off the popup slider in map viewer beta, or by selecting "Remove Popup" in classic viewer.  Also tried enabling, but only having a title field and no popup fields, but they still give me a popup.

I have to use Map Viewer Classic in order for Field Maps to even honor the popup settings/sorting in Field Maps, but doesn't seem to make a difference for this.

No matter which map viewer I use to configure it (beta or Classic) everything seems to work as expected UNTIL you take it offline.

Doesn't matter if I use Map details, or Field Maps to create offline area(s), or, if I have the client App download an offline area.  Once it is taken "offline", the popups no longer honor ANY of the settings.

R_

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you using ArcGIS Online or Enterprise? If Enterprise which version?

With ArcGIS Online, I can reproduce the "No Title" screenshot by removing the pop-up in Map Viewer Classic without taking the map offline.

0 Kudos
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Online.

I can not reproduce with either viewer, unless I take the map offline.  At least in the iPhone/iPad Field Maps App.

R_

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@rzufeltI see what you mean. This is what I see for Android and iOS:

Map Viewer Classic Authored (Online)Map Viewer Authored (Online)Map Viewer Authored (Ad-hoc or Pre-planned Offline)
AaronPulver_1-1640913623966.png

AaronPulver_2-1640913640228.png

AaronPulver_4-1640914090475.png

So yeah there's definitely something weird going on with the offline areas when the map is authored with the new Map Viewer. When the map is authored with Map Viewer Classic and the pop-up title is removed, there's no title to even show so that's expected based.

So I think there's two things there:

1. There's a bug when taking a map offline that the pop-up title isn't displayed. I'll log an internal issue for this.

2. There's a bug/enhancement to show something other than "No Title" (perhaps the displayField value for the layer or nothing at all). I'll log this internally too.

0 Kudos
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

sounds good Aaron,

Thanks for looking into this.

R_

0 Kudos
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

So, it sounds like this issues may be addressed in the next rollout of Field Maps (hopefully).

But, for those of you who are looking for a workaround, I have one now.  

I have kept most everything the same (set Title field in Popup config, have address layer with NULL color as I only want the search capabilities, not displaying them).

Turns out when offline, the search will find features whether the searched layer is visible or not.  So, in the map viewer (either one), I have the popups enabled/configured, but, for the searched layer, I have the layer visibility sliders all the way to the right.  (on my map, that is 1:15-1:0). 

So, the addresses don't display until I am zoomed in farther that I will ever need, and as such, are not available for the popup until I zoom in so close, the chance of actually clicking on one is nil.

If I later decide I want to "see" the search layer, I will add it a second time (from a view) and configure it to draw, but popups disabled.

Hope this helps someone.......

R_

0 Kudos