ArcGIS Field Maps- Auto Orient Map- Issue

12-30-2021 10:48 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello ArcGIS Field Maps Team, 

We currently have a project that requires the use of the auto orientation tool in the ArcGIS Field Maps map. 

Amanda__Huber_1-1640890022013.png

When collecting data (add point(+) > submit) we've noticed that the tool disengages and turns off.
We need this tool to persist since this project requires rapid data collection (helicopter aerial deer collection).

Is there any plan to resolve this issue?

Thank you, 

Amanda Huber

Amanda Huber

13 Replies
Kevin_McIntyre
New Contributor III

To better understand your workflow, why is having the auto orientation tool important?

One other thing I noticed in your post was this line:

this project requires rapid data collection (helicopter aerial deer collection).

While Field Maps is perfectly adequate for collecting data, if rapid data collection is a key factor in this project, have you explored Quick Capture as a more suitable app for this project? 

Either way, if your compass heading is important at the time of data collection, you can add in GPS metadata to your project to collect your heading at the time of capture. You can see how to configure a Quick Capture project to collect this information by configuring a pr... as well as creating the necessary GPS metadata fields. 

RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Didn't really say why you need that, but mention rapid data collection.

You are correct that the tool disengages, however, if you hit the collect button (+) again, it will re-engage that tool and snap you to the current GPS location automagically.

So, regardless of the state of that tool,  pressing the collect button always takes you back to the GPS coordinate.

R_

Plus 1 for Quick Capture though, if it suits your needs.

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello, 

Thank you both for your reply. 

I'll address a few of your questions below as well as include a diagram for reference: 

why is having the auto orientation tool important?

Since the dats is being collected in a helicopter, the helicopter is continually changing direction/orientation.  The user collecting this data needs the map to auto orient to this direction to accurately plot deer sightings at a distance.

rapid data collection is a key factor in this project, have you explored Quick Capture as a more suitable app for this project? 

We need this data to be collected quickly and efficiently (since helicopter time is not cheap). QuickCapture will not work due to a variety of reasons. First it does not have an option for a data collection map interface, and secondly there is no way to plot data at a distance (QuickCapture only allows device location).

Either way, if your compass heading is important at the time of data collection, you can add in GPS metadata to your project to collect your heading at the time of capture.

Compass heading metadata isn't the issue. We need the data collector's map to auto orient to their helicopter orientation.

You are correct that the tool disengages, however, if you hit the collect button (+) again, it will re-engage that tool and snap you to the current GPS location automagically.

So, regardless of the state of that tool,  pressing the collect button always takes you back to the GPS coordinate.

Thank you for confirming this issue. 

----

Diagram of the collection:

Amanda__Huber_2-1640896329464.png

Best, 

Amanda

0 Kudos
Kevin_McIntyre
New Contributor III

Thanks for that info.

Best solution then is going to be while the map is open, long press on the location you want to collect at to drop a pin and then select "Collect Here." See this tip for more information. Doing it that way would at least allow you to retain the correct orientation of the map as you're collecting.

I would also suggest turning on location tracking and turn the tracks layer on to be able to see the path the helicopter has taken and it's current direction of travel. This way, you could have the map zoomed out where you can see the tracks and direction of travel which would allow you to drop pins and collect the locations without worrying about your your collection points snapping to your location and messing up the orientation of the map. 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Already tested that.  Unfortunately, that also toggles off the "auto orientation tool" and takes two clicks to turn it back on.

R_

0 Kudos
Kevin_McIntyre
New Contributor III

Correct! 

But it seems as though the reason they're using the auto orientation tool is to keep their sense of direction while in the helicopter. With the location tracks turned on and the map zoomed out, it should be easier to manage their sense of direction. Basically, with Field Maps open, you'd be zoomed out and watch the helicopters location relative to the path it's taking/has taken and using that information to determine orientation. So if the helicopter is flying east to west, you can have the map oriented north or south depending on what side of the helicopter you're on. 

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

@Kevin_McIntyre ,

Yes, we will be using tracks in addition to this needed auto orient functionality. That being said, tracks alone aren't good enough. The user/collector will revert to paper collection if the collection platform cannot have this behavior. This is necessary and needed functionality and none of the Esri/ArcGIS online tools have auto orient feature except for Field Maps. 

If this is a bug, we'd like the Auto Orient tool functionality to be fixed. If this is by design, we'd like this to be a formal enhancement.

I've already reached out to Esri Support for resolution, but my hopes this geonet post will catch more attention for this need. 

0 Kudos
Kevin_McIntyre
New Contributor III

@Amanda__Huber 

You're right that tracks alone won't completely solve your problem, and I understand what you are trying to accomplish by using the auto-orient tool as @RhettZufelt pointed out. 

What I'm suggesting is this, let's say you sit behind the pilot of the helicopter and you're looking out the left side window of the helicopter and the helicopter is flying east-west transects. You would then open up your map on Field Maps with the location tracking layer on to show your tracks. When you zoom out on the map and pan it slightly, Field Maps stops following your location (the map stops panning as your position changes.).

So now if the helicopter is heading straight east, and you're on the left side of the helicopter, you'd be looking north. You would determine that you're looking north by looking at the map and watching the direction the helicopter is traveling by using its current location and the tracks layer. So while you're looking north, let's say you see a group of deer directly north of you, you would then look on your map and then look directly north of the helicopters position, and then try line up what you're seeing in the field with the imagery on the map to determine their location. Then you'd long press on that location to drop a pin which offers the option to collect a point at that location. Once you've submitted that location, the orientation of your map remains the same and you can continue collecting points. If the helicopters starts heading west, then you just orient the map so that it points south and do the same thing. 

So what I'm suggesting is just abandon the collect (+) button and the GPS location/auto orient button all together and deduce the helicopters location and direction of travel from the helicopters location on the map and its flight path (via the tracks). This method would likely be more accurate than a paper based collection and require less zooming in/out and panning than trying to use the auto orient tool. 

Either way, I think the auto orientation tool is more so meant for navigating to an existing point than it is for aiding in the capture of a point which is why it's not functioning as you'd hoped. The other reason is that if the direction the receiver is facing is important, then that data would just get captured in the GPS metadata anyways.

I apologize if this workflow doesn't work for you, but it's the best workflow I can think of that would aid in your data collection without having to rely on the auto orientation feature which is clearly not suiting your needs.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

OIC.

Based on the graphic, I thought they wanted the auto orient tool so they could "point" the iPad at the deer off in the distance, then, looking at the map in front of them, determine based on the direction they are looking, and what they see on the map/imagery, they know where to "collect here".

Would be a good use for offset data collection with laser rangefinder if they could get one to shoot far enough.

R_