Select to view content in your preferred language

Simultaneous use of offline areas and online map

12-17-2020 12:24 AM
swiss_parks_network_nbernhard
New Contributor III

Currently a map can only be used online or offline. While the option to download either one or several offline areas should be maintained, an additional online map should be made available. Thus, you would not need to delete the offline areas when you want to go online which is not user-friendly (the synchronization takes a long time in each case and the storage space on the devices is limiting). The simultaneous use of offline areas and an online map is needed by field staff for overview and work coordination. Please provide for the same map following options (see attached picture):

• Online map which can be viewed/edited, e.g. online see below
  • Download user defined areas which can be viewed/edited, e.g. Bereich 1 see below.
  • Download predefined offline areas which can be viewed/edited, e.g., Nord and Süd see below.
27 Comments
GuyWeerasingheAWE

Just checking in on the status of this idea - like the above commenters, we too need the field maps app to be able to use both offline and online maps at the same time. 

StefanBrandt

Just to add to this, I asked a developer on a recent ESRI conference in Switzerland about this feature and whether they had any plans on developing this. The answer was "No".

DebHSF
by

This would be really helpful. Our current workflow means we can't just have a separate "online" version of the map. It would be a much better user experience for staff to just be able to switch between an offline and an online version if they need to.

SimonMelling

Completely endorse this idea! I've just created my first ever Field Maps web app for a group of field staff to trial as a proof of concept.

The top item on their 'snag list' was the ability to freely move between online and offline mode, as opposed to restricted to offline mode the moment a single offline area is defined.

Sometimes the staff know they need to work in an area with poor signal, however prior to this they will be working in an area with OK signal so prefer to work online there, and immediately move to the offline area that they will have defined whilst in the office on the Wi-Fi, before beginning their tour.

BrianWilson3

I'm honestly surprised this was wasn't included initially.  Its such a hassle having an "Offline" and "Online" map to allow for users to have an online and offline options.  Come on dev team, make it happen.

GreigFLS

With a mixture of online and offline use, across our organisation, we would find this very useful.

AngelRomoSandoval

I Kudo that, but meanwhile we do not have this new feature, I propose something much easier, the possibility to change in AGOL from offline to online. Once you set a map as offline it is not possible to undo it. I mean, it is possible, but it is not reflected in Fieldmaps interface.

BrianWilson3

@AngelRomoSandoval I can't speak to AGOL but with Portal 10.9.1 this isn't an issue.  I can have a map with Enable offline mode  on and I do not see your issue.  I don't have any offline areas either in Portal or Fieldmaps so that may be what the issue is.  In field maps if you have an offline area built its offline until you remove it.  I'm hoping ESRI works on this, having an online option seems to be such a simple fix.

AsheinAbeysekara

Absolute no-brainer. I specifically do not create any offline areas for this very reason. Such an unnecessary limitation of the ESRI Field apps suite.

JennyStanley

Yes please!  This would be incredibly useful!