Select to view content in your preferred language

field maps for windows

03-11-2021 10:45 AM
Labels (2)
StefanSchnitzhofer
New Contributor III

Our field worker crews are working with windows 10 tablets (MS Surface). Therefore we urgently need the new field maps running on windows (10) platform.

Update (August/03/2022) - As my post is nearly one year old: Is it in sight that there will be a fieldmaps solution for Windows OS? Any timetable?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
51 Comments
KaraUtter

@AaronKoelker @ToddHalvorson I have posed the question to the community as to whether anyone has tested out field maps in the windows 11 OS using the beta insider program. You can find the question here: Has anyone tried Field Maps in Windows 11 Insider ... - Esri Community

BrentPierce

@KaraUtter, On the Field Maps team we have been prototyping and testing the Android version of Field Maps running on the earliest versions of the Windows 11 Insider Preview builds. The results have been very promising and our long term goal to to make the Field Maps available through the Amazon App Store so it could be deployed directly on Windows 11 devices.

It's a little too early to speculate when this will be available, but recently versions of Windows11 which support the Windows Subsystem for Android, are generally available outside of the insider program, we are in a pretty good spot. 

There will definitely be some more announcements on this topic later in the year.

-Brent

KaraUtter

@BrentPierce thank you so much for this information! Have you been testing on actual mobile devices with windows 11 OS, or in a testing environment on a desktop/server network?

by Anonymous User

One thing to consider is that Windows 11 is more hardware restrictive than most Windows updates in the past. So be sure that your devices can support Windows 11. We use Dell Tablets (Latitude 7212 Rugged), and last I checked we would need to upgrade our devices or buy new ones. 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3631575/how-to-check-if-your-pc-can-run-windows-11.html  

BrentPierce

@KaraUtter Most testing has been done on the MS surface line of devices, but as we continue to test we will expand out to different hardware manufacturers and vendors. As @Anonymous User mentions, Windows 11, like all previous versions of Windows, does have it's own hardware requirements.

KaraUtter

@BrentPierce @Anonymous User yes, I have already been looking into the hardware requirements for windows 11 and am at this moment tracking down whether we would have to replace our tablets or be able to upgrade them.

Brent, thank you for the information and updates. I am very excited to hear this.

Casey_Delta

Thought I would refresh the question concerning when something will be available in Windows OS.

Thank you

MelanieWawryk

We have lots of collector apps used in the field that supervisors and admin staff add features (defects) or update attributes in Collector for windows while in the office. It was a perfect compliment.  Not having field maps available for windows is not great. It means we have to do all the work in field maps and then have to try and recreate the experience in application builder and lose all the field map features. Seems a bit short-sighted to limit it to mobile only when the product it is replacing had both. Please, please, please create a windows version!

RachaelMurtaugh

I'd love to know any status on getting the Field Maps app in the Microsoft store. I see Survey 123, Collector, and even Survey 123 Connect, but not Field Maps. We're trying to streamline our departments to all use the same maps and apps, but some have iPads and some have surfaces. 

MelissaNorthey

We have learned that Collector is no longer supported.  We need this now more than ever.  Please give us an installer for all of our Windows Surface Pros.  There's a Question on this topic (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-questions/when-is-field-mapping-going-to-be-made-ava...) with many more concerned folks to add to this case.