Select to view content in your preferred language

What is the best way to use a multiple source of data in ArcGIS Experience ?

Jump to solution
10-16-2023 07:59 AM
JasonBOCQUET
Frequent Contributor

Hello community,

I want to create an ArcGIS Experience Builder application for my coworkers that allow us to have the possibility to access in the multiple of different data.

In my mind, i want to have like 10 thematics, and when you click on one of this theme, you can display on a Map some of features layer. In total it's like than 90 features layer distributed on 10 differents thematics.

I don't want to create only ONE WebMap with 90 features layer because it's very not ergonomic.

So my question is : what is the best way to use multiple features layer on the experience builder tools ? 

I though about using Views and 10 different maps but the major problem is the impossibility to see 2 differents thematics together on the same map. I need to allow my users to compare (for example) building information and society information (building and society are 2 differents thematics).

And the other problem is that I can't use another widget (for example Filter widget) to make a selection on all of my features because if I used different Views (so different Map), the Filter widget can connect only to one Map.

So, how can I exploit 90 features layers, distributed on 10 major thematics, without using only ONE  WebMap with all of my layers hosted in  and without using a tons of Views mechanic, that is very not dynamic to compare some of data. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

This sort of thematic grouping of layers is not well supported in the current edition (1.12) of Experience Builder. As you have noted, the best options currently available are to pile all of your layers into a single map or to build many separate webmaps, and both of these choices is not ideal.

The next edition of Experience Builder (1.13) will be coming to ArcGIS Online and should include an update to the Map Layers widget that should make this kind of thematic grouping easier. I don't think this update will make it in time to be included in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 which is due out next month, so Enterprise users will probably be waiting for 11.3. Developer Edition should get this update around December.

If you are on Developer Edition, you can use my add/remove layers widget, but dynamically loading layers at run-time does effectively mean you cannot use many of the options in the builder mode. https://community.esri.com/t5/experience-builder-custom-widgets/add-remove-layers-by-group/m-p/12950...

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

This sort of thematic grouping of layers is not well supported in the current edition (1.12) of Experience Builder. As you have noted, the best options currently available are to pile all of your layers into a single map or to build many separate webmaps, and both of these choices is not ideal.

The next edition of Experience Builder (1.13) will be coming to ArcGIS Online and should include an update to the Map Layers widget that should make this kind of thematic grouping easier. I don't think this update will make it in time to be included in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 which is due out next month, so Enterprise users will probably be waiting for 11.3. Developer Edition should get this update around December.

If you are on Developer Edition, you can use my add/remove layers widget, but dynamically loading layers at run-time does effectively mean you cannot use many of the options in the builder mode. https://community.esri.com/t5/experience-builder-custom-widgets/add-remove-layers-by-group/m-p/12950...

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
JasonBOCQUET
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your reply.

It's good to sounds that is soon avaiable in a future update.

Unfortunaly I didn't use the Developer Edition actually, I have to plan to use it in the future, but not for a few months.

I think about another solution, but it seems to be very limited : the Bookmark widget.

If I create 10 bookmarks, one for each theme. I can choose from my 90 feature layers to display only those related to the theme in question each time.

But, the first problem is that this again involves having a single WebMap with the 90 features layer, and the user cannot, within each Geobookmark, choose which layer he wants to see displayed or not for this theme, he will see all 90 features layer.

The second problem is that it is also impossible to cross-reference the data between two themes since if you click on a second geobookmark, the results from the first will disappear.

Or did I miss a mechanic of the widget?

JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Using the Bookmark widget like this is an excellent idea.

Maybe you can use the Bookmark and Map Layers widget together. The Bookmarks set the majority of the layers and the user can add other layers back in with the Map Layers widget. I know it's a pretty bad solution, but that's the best I have right now.

If you know what comparisons your users are likely to want, you can try the Swipe widget.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
JasonBOCQUET
Frequent Contributor

I think too, but the 2 major problem that I noted seems to limited my possibilities.

You talk about the possibility to add other layers with the Map Layers but it's not possible before the v1.12 right ? I'm on 1.11.

I can't predict what comparisons my users want to do because they need a tons of indicator that they will used together to understand how the market is evolving.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

What I meant is that you can have all 90 of your layers in the Map Layers widget with the Toggle Layer Visibility option on. This should allow users to turn on/off layers.

JeffreyThompson2_0-1697551320162.png

The layers set by the Bookmarks widget will override choices made in the Map Layer widget so the Bookmarks will set the main theme and if a user needs another layer they can find it in the Map Layers widget.

This option should be available in all versions of Experience Builder.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
JasonBOCQUET
Frequent Contributor

Ok, i got it ! I think I will settle for this solution, for lack of anything better.

Do you have any documentation about what you were talking about the new update of 1.13 : "The next edition of Experience Builder (1.13) will be coming to ArcGIS Online and should include an update to the Map Layers widget that should make this kind of thematic grouping easier." ?

Thanks for your answer

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

JeffreyThompson2_0-1697557249474.png

I'm basing this off a single line of text, but this feature has been frequently requested as a way to create thematic groups of layers, so I expect that it will be able to handle it.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
JasonBOCQUET
Frequent Contributor

Ok, so let's see in the future.

Thanks for your help 🙂

0 Kudos