Transfer application from ExperienceBuilder for Developers v1.3 to v1.4

Jump to solution
05-24-2021 12:54 PM
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

Upgrading from version 1.3 to version 1.4 of ExperienceBuilder for Developers. I am trying to transfer applications made in 1.3 to the new version, but it is not showing up when I go to access it at https://localhost:3001/.

I download EB 1.4, unzipped it, and ran npm ci and npm start for both client and server. The new directory has been placed where the old one was. The old directory has been retained in the same location for the time being and has just been renamed to distinguish it. The upgrade instructions (https://developers.arcgis.com/experience-builder/guide/upgrade/) state to copy the app folder from the older directory over to the new directory. I noticed in v1.3 that app folders were in two locations:

<install folder>/server/src/apps/<appId> (NOT <install folder>/server/public/apps/<appId> - this directory did not exist)

KayceeFaunce_4-1621885688754.png

- <install folder>/server/temp/<appId>

KayceeFaunce_3-1621885653203.png

In the new directory, I copied the apps over in a few different locations:

- Following upgrade instructions:

KayceeFaunce_5-1621885754290.png

- Following v1.3 paths:

KayceeFaunce_6-1621885783179.png

KayceeFaunce_7-1621885798786.png

However, when I close out and re-start EB, the existing applications do not appear:

KayceeFaunce_8-1621885864695.png

FWIW, the applications I'm trying to transfer do not have any custom widgets.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

After some more fiddling this morning, I fixed the problem by doing the following -

1. re-downloading and installing a fresh copy of v1.4

2. creating a new application in v1.4 to generate a new folder for an app (NEWappId)

3. taking the contents of 1.3-directory/ArcGISExperienceBuilder/server/src/apps/<OLDappId> and pasting it into the directory for the newly created 1.4 application: 1.4-directory/ArcGISExperienceBuilder/server/public/apps/<NEWappId>

4. Some strategic editing of the OLDappID config.json file after comparing with NEWappID config.json. Basically updated the information so that the OLDappID id matched the NEWappID id/folder name and switched status to Draft, and manually updated the listed version of the app to version 1.4.0 from 1.3.

Works now!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That seems odd. It really is as simple as taking 1.3-directory/ArcGISExperienceBuilder/server/public/apps and copying the contents to 1.4-directory/ArcGISExperienceBuilder/server/public/apps.

Having just upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4 myself, I can confirm that that's all I did. You're positive the folder wasn't there in the 1.3 directory?

Also, the /temp stuff is just for unpublished changes. If your app is in a "published" state, you don't need to bother with them.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

Thanks, Josh - I appreciate you confirming that I'm following the steps correctly. Yes, the 1.3 directory doesn't have that folder. I rebooted 1.3 and made sure to hit publish on the app I wanted and checked again - not there, just the stuff in server/tmp and server/src/public. I have also tried downloading the application .zip from 1.3 and uploading the contents to 1.4-directory/ArcGISExperienceBuilder/server/public/apps/appname/. No luck.

0 Kudos
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

After some more fiddling this morning, I fixed the problem by doing the following -

1. re-downloading and installing a fresh copy of v1.4

2. creating a new application in v1.4 to generate a new folder for an app (NEWappId)

3. taking the contents of 1.3-directory/ArcGISExperienceBuilder/server/src/apps/<OLDappId> and pasting it into the directory for the newly created 1.4 application: 1.4-directory/ArcGISExperienceBuilder/server/public/apps/<NEWappId>

4. Some strategic editing of the OLDappID config.json file after comparing with NEWappID config.json. Basically updated the information so that the OLDappID id matched the NEWappID id/folder name and switched status to Draft, and manually updated the listed version of the app to version 1.4.0 from 1.3.

Works now!

0 Kudos
JohnPaulAlbana
New Contributor II

Hi, can you specify what you changed in the config.json file to transfer the app?

0 Kudos
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

Hi! After creating a new application in 1.4 and replacing the contents of that application's directory with the older application, I updated the old app ID, switched the status to draft, and updated the listed version to 1.4.0. I'm not sure why this was necessary with my installation but everything has been working fine since.

0 Kudos