Text - dynamic content - Selected - How to change default?

01-19-2022 05:52 PM
elpinguino
Occasional Contributor III

Hi ExB community,

I'm working with the text widget. I've applied dynamic content to it, so when the user selects a polygon, information about that polygon appears.

I notice when a polygon isn't selected, the expression shows, which I don't really want them to see.

Is there a way to change this?

I've made a quick video explaining what I mean.

https://watch.screencastify.com/v/DrluavJm2Et7VeHcu5Jk

I've had to grey out some areas due for privacy.

5 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

One "workaround" is to enter the dynamic text as an expression (instead of Attribute) and give the expression a name like "No Data", or whatever you want to appear when there isn't a value.

RhettZufelt_0-1642694726803.png

Then, if there is no data in that field for the selected feature, it displays the Expression title, not the expression itself.

Didn't seem to work at first, but just re-tested and putting a space as the Expression name makes it "appear" to be empty when no data.

R_

elpinguino
Occasional Contributor III

Clever. That's a good one! Would be good though if this could get looked at in the future by the developers.

rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

this workaround was suggested by one of the developers on a separate post.  So, they are aware.

R_

SashaBrown
New Contributor

This was useful, and helped me. It would be great to have a workaround or solution for the image widget as well. When nothing selected, it shows the no image data.

0 Kudos
JessicaHancock
New Contributor II

Hello! I'm hoping you could tell me how you applied dynamic content to the text widget, so when the user selects a polygon from the map (in my case a state boundary), so information about that polygon appears.

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos