Opening attachments (images) in the Image Viewer Widget

04-30-2020 10:57 AM
JordanRising
New Contributor

I'm trying to open image attachments in the Image widget with a dynamic source. Is it possible to set a dynamic image source to attachments? The Gallery widget opens the image attachments fine, but they are thumbnails in the main viewer, and open in a separate tab if you click on them. 

Any help on how to open these directly in the Image viewer would be greatly appreciated. Also, if clicking on an image in the Gallery could trigger opening that image in Image widget would be sufficient as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jordan,

You can open image attachments from a dynamic source (feature layer) as long as you have a field with the URL. If you only have the image widget you need a map or list to switch between images. Otherwise, it will only display the first image it queries in the feature layer.  What is the trigger to open the image attachment? Can you describe your workflow?

Thanks,

David 

0 Kudos
JordanRising
New Contributor

Hi David,

Really appreciate the quick reply. Ultimately we are performing drone inspection work. We attach all images to a single feature point for the sake of organization and cleanliness. Otherwise it can get chaotic and hard to understand which picture belongs to which particular asset we are inspecting. Most assets (feature points) have 10-15 images attached.

In a perfect world, we could click on the point and have it populate the gallery as it does now in the screenshot, but if you click on a picture in the gallery, it would populate the Image widget. 

Hopefully that helps articulate what I'm trying to do a bit more.

0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Jordan,

Yes, it does. I  see what you're trying to accomplish and currently, we do not query attachments in this release. In our next release, we are going to support attachments in our image widget.  

David

0 Kudos
PilleRossi
New Contributor III

Hello!

As i'm also looking forward to use feature info attachments as an images in the Image widget, i ask how far are you with these developments? Have you planned already next release. If the time is known i would be very grateful for this information.

Thank you,

Pille Rossi

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will it be possible to show attachments from layers that are not shared? This would be useful when setting up experiences that can't be shared outside the organization.

0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Peder,

Anything in the layer is controlled by the permissions you set for that layer.  I would recommend posting this question in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise for feedback.

Cheers,

David

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You're right of course. But recently I've been trying to get image attachments to display in popups in the web app builder. It only works when the layer with the attachments is set to public sharing. 

The reason why I'm asking is because we're spending a lot of time trying to get this to work in the web app builder. If I could tell people that it might be possible to do this in the next version of experience builder we could just wait.

A typical use case would be a split screen with a map on one side, and an image display on the other. Users could click on a feature in the map and have a corresponding full-size image show up on the other side. The experience itself and the layers would only be shared with groups. 

Best,

Peder

0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Peder,

Are you looking for something like this? This is using a feature service with attachments through ArcGIS Online. query attachment

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, that's perfect . I just tested it now, and it works when I use organizational sharing. Once it is available for enterprise we'll start using it. 

Cheers for the awesome work you and your team does!

Best,

Peder