Select to view content in your preferred language

How to search all data in a polygon

12-11-2023 04:04 PM
mtuffy
by
Emerging Contributor

Hi community. 

I am not new to ArcGIS Online apps, but I am brand new to Experience Builder, so I do apologise if this is an easy question, or one that has been answered before. I have done lots of research and study on the app but still having some issues, or knowledge of what I want to do is possible. 

So, I have a map that contains multiple layers. One layer is polygons, everything else is different data. 

I want users to be able to search for a polygon location, and once found, the map zooms to the polygon (steps that I have already completed), but I want all the other associated data that can be found in the polygon to appear, so that users can see all the different types of data that fall within that searched polygon. 

Is this possible? I have played with the Query widget, search widget, and lists etc but can't figure it out yet. I'll keep doing my research, but if anyone has some simple steps to completing this, I would be very grateful 🙂

Thanks,
Matt.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

It depends on what exactly you are trying to do, but a simple solution may be setting scale dependent visibility in your webmap. For example, in this application, zooming to a single park will make additional symbology visible becoming a detailed map of the park.

You can set scale dependent visibility with the properties panel on the webmap.

JeffreyThompson2_0-1702391035530.png

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
mtuffy
by
Emerging Contributor

Hi Jeffrey, 

Thanks for replying with the information. That could be helpful but I think slightly different to what I want to achieve. I'm not sure if what I want to do is possible, but hence I am asking the board 🙂 

So I have about 4-5 layers of different environmental data, and one layer that is just polygons for different regions. I want users to look up a specific region (polygon) and when they do, the map will zoom to that area and a pop-out will appear showing all the information relating to the different environmental data layers that appear in that polygon. 

I can do the search tool which zooms to the polygon, just wasn't sure how to display the information of each of the other layers for only that polygon. But I get that's not possible, but rather just information for all layers in that zoom level will appear?

Does this make sense? Sorry it's a little confusing haha

Matt. 

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

The closest option to what you want is the Near Me widget. 

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/latest/configure-widgets/near-me-widget.htm

It can be set up to be triggered by the Search widget and can find features in other layers near the search location. It is not currently capable of searching by a polygon, so you will get results based on how close things are to the centroid of your polygon, rather than explicitly whether or not they are within the polygon.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
mtuffy
by
Emerging Contributor

Thanks Jeffrey for responding back and taking the time to help out a newbie 🙂 I had thought that maybe the functionality I wanted was not possible, but this might be a close second (hopefully my bosses will be happy with it haha). 

Thanks again for writing back - I'll keep you updated with how I go!

0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @mtuffy you can use search widget and Near Me widget proximity analysis to accomplish this workflow. here is an example step by step similar workflow using these two widgets. In the search widget instead of using locator source, I would suggest that you use your polygon layer as layer source. In Near Me, add proximity analyses for the layers that you need to get results for.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/still-can-t-replace-wab-near-me-wi...

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

@AzizaParveen1 Is there a planned improvement to Near Me to support directly searching by polygon area? A fixed distance to the centroid of a polygon and the exact area of a polygon can be two very different things.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @JeffreyThompson2 ,

No, not at moment. I am not sure I understood your use case, could you please give an example of your workflow and what you are trying to achieve? Right now we are not doing calculation based on polygon centroid but if you have a valid use case, we will definitely look into it.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

JeffreyThompson2_0-1704917746125.png

Does this picture clarify the problem? I have an irregularly shaped polygon with a hole in the middle. There is a star close to the centroid that isn't in the polygon at all and there are stars far from the centroid that are. There are seven total stars within the blue. By the current logic in Near Me, some of these stars would appear on a list of the seven closest stars to the centroid, some would be left off, and some stars that are not in the polygon would be on that list.

You could imagine the stars representing crime reports and the blue representing the city limits, if it helps. The cops need to investigate the crimes within the city, but legally can't investigate anything outside the city.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

@JeffreyThompson2 I got your use case now, thanks so much for the illustration. 

Now, what is your workflow at runtime? Are you searching this polygon to get the intersecting starts with 0 buffer, if you do that it should return all the intersecting stars because in that case Near Me will send the extent of the polygon and get the intersecting stars.

Another way you can accomplish your workflow, is to select the City Limit polygon to open its pop-up and from there click on the data action button and click set location. Set the crime layer as your proximity analysis layer in Near Me and use 0 buffer distance.

Please let me know if it solves your issue.