still can't replace WAB near me with EB near me

Jump to solution
11-01-2023 03:05 PM
johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there - 

I still can't replace my WAB app with an EB app.  I have what seems like a very basic workflow.  The user types a street address into a search widget using world locator. When the user selects a candidate from the search widget, the map highlights and zooms to the extent of the polygon in a specified polygon layer that contains the address location, displays popup (complex w/arcade) for selected polygon, along with the address location marker on the map. 

This can be accomplished using the instant app zone locator, and also Web AppBuilder near me widget. 

But for the life of me I cannot get that to work in Experience Builder. It is very challenging to force migration to EB when EB can't do the same things as WAB w/o massive programming of custom EB widgets. 

Any tips for how to configure EB to accomplish a basic zone locator like you can do with WAB, out of the box, would be greatly appreciated!  I hope I am just missing something simple. 

For example, how to accomplish this simple WAB app in EB

Thx,

JB

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @johnbrosowsky 

You should be able to achieve the workflow you have in your sample WAB app in EXB. I created a sample app  in EXB to mimic your workflow.

Add and configure Near Me:

1. Select the map
  2. In the Analysis Settings panel, select Specify a location
  3. Enter your custom heading label, right now, only limitation for the heading label is you can't control font styling, it will be added in next update.
  4. Enter 0 as the Search distance.
  5. Uncheck Show distance settings
  6. Uncheck Show sketch tools
  7. Click Add Analysis button
  8. Select USA Counties Generalized boundaries as layer
  9. Enter a Label
  10. Select Closest Feature as the analysis type,
  11. Change the Highlight color to Cyan, Click Ok.

Set up message action so it zooms to feature boundary

1. Click on the Action tab in Near Me
  2. Click on Add a trigger, then Record selection changes.
  3. Click on Map from the widgets list.
  4. Click Zoom to from Select an action
  5. Close the Action Settings panel and save the app.

Add and configure Search widget to the App

1. Add the Search widget into the map.
  2. Click New search source
  3. Click on Locator source, then click on Select utility and select ArcGIS World Geocoding service.
  4. Make sure that Enable filtering for layer source search is turned off if you configure a feature layer.
  5. Expand Search result and check Auto select the first result. 
  6. On the Action tab, click Add a trigger.
  7. Select Record selection changes as a trigger.
  8. Select Near Me as a target from the Widgets list and Set location as an action to use the searched location as an input location in the Near Me widget.
  9. Save the app and launch.

Now type an address in the search widget and then select a candidate from the search widget.  The address will be used as an input location in Near Me and it will return the intersecting polygon. Now click on the result in Near Me widget and the map will zoom to the feature. Here is what it looks like .

If you still have any issue setting this up in EXB, please let me know. Thanks so much for your patience.

AzizaParveen1_0-1699309432761.png

0 Kudos
JohnBrosowsky1
New Contributor II

Thanks Aziza, that is very helpful.  However, it does not work.  After typing in an address and selecting the address candidate, it does indeed map the address location and highlight the correct polygon, but it does not zoom to the extent of the polygon like the WAB app or the Instant App zone locator does.

The user has to click on the feature in the near me panel to get the map to zoom.  For a non-GIS user this is confusing as to why the map is not automatically zooming.  It's not clear what the user needs to click on to get the map to zoom, or where to click specifically in the near me panel.  Users do not like that the "new upgraded" app now requires an extra click to zoom that map whereas the old WAB app out of the box just automatically zoomed to the extent of the intersected poly.

Is there a way to get it to automatically zoom w/o the extra click?

Thanks!

JB

AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

I understand your frustration, we had to consider lot of different scenario while designing this functionality and unfortunately right now this is the only way, it works like List widget but it handles many complex scenarios, like you can have a list of groups and that groups can have their own lists, also you can have expanded list, so long story short, this is the best way we could implement this.

However, I will talk to my team to see if we can add automatic zoom in for this scenario where Near Me returns only one result. I will keep you updated.

Thanks so much for sharing your workflow with us.

0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @JohnBrosowsky1 We added this support in February update, if a single feature is returned, it will automatically zoom to that feature.