Select to view content in your preferred language

How to attach images from a field containing the path on a server

Jump to solution
07-17-2023 07:04 AM
pbDudley
New Contributor III

Hello

I have features that contain a hyperlink field that in the old versions of arcmap, one could use the hyperlink tool and the image/pdf would open

Now I am trying to use these same links in portal. I see where it lets one select a url path but it wont let me add a path pointed on the server?

Also, it appears that if I did have the option to point to file location(which some of the apps allow) one can only do this manually, where each would have to be clicked on and pointed to the image file.

Is there a way to use a field in a feature that works as the old hyperlink tool did or does one have to manually click and navigate to each to get the hyperlinks to work?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Where is the link directed to? It sounds sort of like they might be files in a network folder?

It's not a "tool", it's just a link. Those same links would work fine in ArcGIS Pro, but not in Portal / AGOL. The difference is that when you are working in desktop software, a file path is something the program understands. In Portal, there's no guarantee that the client has access to items at file:///some-location, so Portal automatically scrubs any links that aren't HTTPS.

If these URLs actually are web-accessible files, you can add image elements to the popup and pipe in fields to define the images source URL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Where is the link directed to? It sounds sort of like they might be files in a network folder?

It's not a "tool", it's just a link. Those same links would work fine in ArcGIS Pro, but not in Portal / AGOL. The difference is that when you are working in desktop software, a file path is something the program understands. In Portal, there's no guarantee that the client has access to items at file:///some-location, so Portal automatically scrubs any links that aren't HTTPS.

If these URLs actually are web-accessible files, you can add image elements to the popup and pipe in fields to define the images source URL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
pbDudley
New Contributor III

Alright thank you

Thats what I thought. The paths are file based and not to a url

I did see that I can navigate to each of the file locations and attach the pdf/tifs that way. I just have a lot of these to do so was checking to see if there was a way. But I understand your answer. Thanks

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Now, if you wanted to actually add these as attachments, Python can make that pretty easy. There's an attachment manager class that you can use to add the files, using the feature's filepath field to locate the file. I have a script somewhere that does that, and I could dig it up if you like.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
pbDudley
New Contributor III

Well yes thank you. If you can find the python script I would try it out for my workflow. Thank you

0 Kudos