Experienced Builder - Editing Data

04-01-2020 03:17 PM
AllanBenvin_yyc
Regular Contributor

So I have been trying out Experience Builder to see what capabilities it has. I wanted to try creating an app that was table focused for editing attributes in a table. I have a List and a Feature Info widget. I use the list to search for the record I want to edit and the Feature Info to display the attributes. Both widgets are pointing to a map service that is editable. I can edit the data just fine in a map viewer. I can't figure out how I can actually edit the attributes in Experience Builder. Is there something I am not doing correctly or can it not edit? Hopefully I'm missing something basic.

Thanks for any help, Al

30 Replies
BrittanyBurson
Frequent Contributor

It now seems possible to edit within the Table widget, and it works really well.  It would be great next to be able to add and delete features/records... for the table itself, I'm looking for a "add new row" type functionality to add a new record to a non-spatial, related or unrelated table. Is this on the horizon, or will updates in the table be limited to Update only?

EricKriener
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't say it "works really well" when the table completely resets after each cell edit and you need to go searching and scrolling around for where you were at to make the next edit.

BrittanyBurson
Frequent Contributor

Hi @EricKriener 

Completely agree and my comment was made prior to discovering this. We do not use the table widget as is because of this refresh behavior.

You can comment on this Idea here. I also logged an enhancement request with Esri regarding this six months ago, #ENH-000142026 though the severity is marked as "low".

0 Kudos
QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

The editing experience is horrible, I wouldn't put it in front of users who have come from google sheets etc. That kind of hostile user experience is how you get people hating your apps. Did they have an intern code this widget? It's quite frankly embarrassing for all involved. 

KeithGerhartz1
Frequent Contributor

Patiently waiting for editor widget in Experience Builder. I wish ESRI would publish information about design and ask for comment instead of just giving us what they think we want. The whole of the user community knows a lot more about what is needed than most of the developers and project managers - some being better than others.

QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

Couldn't agree more, it's a complete dumpster fire. They just don't listen to their users.

Matthew_Williams
Occasional Contributor

I just stopped using Experience Builder. I was one of the early adopters but it was just so terrible when they released it that it wasn't worth getting started on something, just to realize they left out something critical in their rush to get it to market.

Is there still not editing capability?

QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

There is the edit widget (beta) but it's not production ready and the table widget which sort of has editing capabilities but the implementation is a complete joke. It has to be one of the biggest esri failures to date, being pushed to the new map viewer which isn't backwards compatible with WAB but to then not have feature basic parity in EB (how is editing not a day 1 release?) is just so short sighted. Esri needs to focus on making core functionality actually work instead of going after the new shiny things that never get properly implemented. I hate to say it, but you're probably right in abandoning EB. 

QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

@Matthew_Williams I'm probably going to give up on experience builder too as there is SO much that does not work properly. It's a good concept, but has been poorly executed, poorly planned and was released far too early. I should've known better, esri has a history of doing this - as soon as a product gets to be in a stable state (WAB, map viewer classic) they push you onto the next badly thought out product. Unfortunately I have already invested significant time and money building a custom widget which will now be orphaned to an EB app on it's own. What a joke.

SandraCHayden
Regular Contributor

I guess I'll have to come back next year if I remember when hopefully the widgets I need will have been implemented.

In the meanwhile, on to other things.