Experience Builder Slow Map Layers Widget

09-15-2021 08:29 AM
HeatherBell
Occasional Contributor

We've been building a web app in experience builder. The first page is a map with a sidebar with the map layers widget. When previewing the app, the map loads okay (5-10 seconds), but the map layers widget can take up to a minute to load. I've tried to optimise it by switching off all the layers, and saving the web map using the new map viewer. However, it hasn't sped up the load time. Has anyone found a way to speed up the load time? There are approximately 100 layers in the map but they are all switched off. See the attached image. Thank you, Heather. 

GIS Analyst @ The Rivers Trust
28 Replies
DustinEdge_Boroondara
New Contributor III

What did you look for in Dev Tools to help identify the problem layers?

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters
Occasional Contributor III

I never had to fully dig into the dev tools as I did notice the screen resolution solved my problem. So there wasn’t an error I could look for at that point.

0 Kudos
EmiliaWalton1
New Contributor II

We are also finding Experience Builder apps incredibly slow to load on SOME computers in our office. It's basically unusable. Our GIS machines load it up fine, but the majority of our staff use shared-pool virtual machines that don't seem to be able to handle the graphics requirements of EB and some of the new Instant Apps. The same map loads up quick for staff when viewed through a Web App Builder apps.

andrewdc_tt
Occasional Contributor

We are also finding the Experience Builder map layer widget is taking a long time to load, even after the map has loaded. We have lots of layers in this map, but nearly all are off by default so they shouldn't be loading. Looking at the requests being made behind the scenes, it seems like every single service is being pinged as it loads (even if they are hidden) - I suspect this is resulting in a big performance hit.

This is the case for different EB environments including ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 and the Developer Edition, and it's the biggest performance bottleneck in our otherwise speedy web experience - please address this as soon as possible!

kmsmikrud

I am also disappointed with Experience Builder and how there seems to be a lag in the layers drawing in the map widget. Most layers as you mentioned are turned off by default with only a few drawing initially. These are detailed polygon layers but if I compare the same hosted AGOL web map after initial load in WAB I do not see the blocky draw of these layers compared to EB. 

It is troubling if behind the scenes in EB each layer is being pinged as @andrewdc_tt mentions above.

We are trying to use the latest app and overall I like the look of EB, but I am disappointed to see how the layers are drawing. I would spend more time on generalizing them, but then when I see how fast they draw in WAB it doesn't seem like this is the issue.

Just commiserating.....

Thanks,
Kathy

T_R
by
New Contributor II

Replying in the hopes this thread gets some attention.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

My organization is creating web maps for 44 counites. These maps get used by the state extensively, a lot of traffic. A. Lot. Of. Traffic.

Page hits a splash screen, and it can take so long to accept the disclaimer (splash screen) that it causes a lot of confusion, creates emails from users.

Is there no way to optimize this? Help!

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters

I'm also experiencing intermittent performance issues with Experience Builder, particularly with layers and the basemap in the map widget. When I try to open the layers or the basemap, the tool window basically flashes. I've opened a case with Esri, but no luck so far with resolving the issue. We've tested on multiple machines, on multiple browsers. So far, the only commonality has been the issue has presented on three desktop machines at two different locations. Has not presented on two other desktops, on any laptop we've tested, or any phone we've tested. Testing has occurred behind different firewalls and on personal computers.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/1a4ff69a9d6142aab92e3056df8a787f 

0 Kudos
T_R
by
New Contributor II

My organization found significant speed improvements by completely removing unnecessary layers.

One or two of our layers were going from a REST service, to a  university, then to our page, too many stops.

My understanding is that even if the layers are "turned off," if they're not visible on load, they are still being cached, loaded in the background for future use. 

Try removing unnecessary layers...!

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters

Thanks for the info @T_R. However, there isn't a single layer in each map that can be removed. 

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters

I did find a solution for my problem. It was completely related to screen resolution. I just have to minimize the window a bit and everything works fine.

0 Kudos