Select to view content in your preferred language

Experience Builder measuring tool performance

08-16-2024 04:46 AM
Maryse
by
Emerging Contributor

Some users have reported issues with the Experience Builder measuring tool since the recent update - both the default measuring tool, accessible from the map settings and the measuring tool widget.

It's quite slow to use, freeze often and randomly crash the whole Experience Builder (it was working fine before that).

Is it a known issue ?

16 Replies
Ke_Xu
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi Maryse,

Does the app crash on AGOL or Portal? Could you help provide a sample app for us to troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Ke

0 Kudos
ShaneONeill_144
Esri Contributor

Hi Maryse, I've not been able to recreate the same behaviour - is this in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise? Is this happening for all users? Are any other widgets causing issues?

0 Kudos
WeiYing1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Maryse ,

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce the issue as you described.The measurement performance looks good to us.And we haven't heard about such cases from other users.  Are you measuring with specific basemap or data? It would help us investigate if you can share a repro app to us. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Maryse
by
Emerging Contributor

Hello, The Experience Builder crashes in ArcGIS Online. The data are in British National Grid and I am using the ESRI Basemaps (the GB one and World Imagery).

I tried to replicate the issue, and it might be related to the volume of data on those specific WebApps ?

The measuring tool runs fine on WebApps with just a couple of layers, but it seems to struggle on WebApps with a larger volume of data (e.g. general project information, water, noise, geology, etc.)

A couple of additional notes:

1-It was working fine on those WebApps before. We've started experiencing issues the past 3-4 weeks.

2-The volume of data hasn't increased drastically.

3-The measuring tool is slow to use, with just 2-3 simple layers from the WebApp being turned on.

(Do I need to open an IT ticket to share a sample app ?)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
WeiYing1
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, it would help us to investigate if there is a support ticket with sample app. 
Appreciated. 

0 Kudos
emwing
by
Emerging Contributor

We are encountering the same issue with the measure tool in Experience Builder on AGOL triggering a crash…but not for all users. For some users clearing the browser crash fixes the problem. I’m trying to find the commonality with the users having issues.

emwing
by
Emerging Contributor

We have seen a consistent pattern that the measure tool is very memory intensive and pushing some browsers beyond their capacity to cope…particularly is there is complex web map. We’ve had some success thinning down the web map complexity, and having users limit how many browser tabs and desktop applications running. Especially if they are running 16GB of RAM or less.

WeiYing1
Esri Regular Contributor

@emwing thanks for your feedback. Would you be able to share your app for us to investigate? 
Or submitting a ticket through Esri Support may help us get the repro case. Thank you!

0 Kudos
emwing
by
Emerging Contributor

I have a prototype available for the moment here: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/b1d61276fee846cea8f980a0c41cea28 This application is still in development; there may be a few dead layers. This application has few enough hosted feature layers that it doesn't cause a browser crash when the measure tool is used for most users. For our other more complex maps with 80-100 layers, we found changing to an imagery service was less RAM intensive for our users. We are well aware that 100 layers for one map is not best practice and to expect performance issues. It's been a trade off: either configure a few high resources applications or force some user groups to juggle between multiple applications. Our users were more receptive to a few applications with slightly worse performance.

0 Kudos