Experience Builder - Embedding apps within a larger app

07-25-2022 08:56 AM
RInfante
New Contributor II

Good morning!

So I have a general  (possibly silly) question for anyone who's built large or complex Experience Builder apps. 

The project I'm working involves slightly over 20 different maps - the maps are all similar and contain the same layers, except each one has been pre-filtered to show the specific information we want to show for that page (like 20+ pre-configured map views so the users don't have to dig through 20+ layer selections themselves). 

I posted a couple of questions last week regarding some issues I was having with some of the layers in the maps - they would not draw properly, or it seemed as if Exp. Builder was having issues connecting to the right layer in the right map.

So, it occurred to me - and here's where I'd like to hear from any past experience anyone might have - that connecting 20+ maps as data sources and having as many section/views (aside from landing, methodology, and 'help' pages) in one single app is maybe pushing Exp. Builder a bit too far (there's been a few 'out of memory' crashes as well).

Would it be better if I created 5 separate Exp. Builder Apps (one for each of the map themes the 20+ maps are organized by) and just embedded those into the larger one (with the landing, help, methodology, etc.)? I assume it'd be more memory-efficient to just call separate apps than to load everything into one, but is it also stable?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could certainly try that. We do have one or two EB apps that have other apps in an embed.

I would also take a look at the options on the Section / View items. I don't know if this is just a Developer Edition thing, but I am able to tell my sections to use "lazy loading", in which the content for the view is not loaded until I actually switch to that view.

Is it possible to just make these each different pages, instead of views in a section? That would prevent them from loading all at once, and would also give you the opportunity to nicely name each page, so users can save the link to, say your-experience-url/?page=preset4 or whatever name makes sense to you.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I believe I read in the documentation from a few releases ago that 16 map pages was a limit.... 

- David

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm at 20 and still going strong! Maybe it would depend on the map's configuration, but 16 doesn't appear to be a limit.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
RInfante
New Contributor II

Hrmm interesting...thanks for the insight! I am using views instead of pages - and yeah, it's not like I definitively know that that's my issue, I just know I had some maps in these views suddenly unable to read a layer properly in the embedded map when everything seemed ok in AGOL's Map Viewer. I'll check out the loading options as you described.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos