Select to view content in your preferred language

Basemap Widget in new Experience Builder displaying current map

06-23-2023 04:13 AM
DeirdreSmyth
New Contributor III

Hi There,

I am using the new basemap widget that became available in the latest release.  I have an experience builder site that uses a webmap for the main map with a overlying feature layer and a basemap.

I've selected a subset of basemaps that I wish to use from my organizational basemap gallery but the issue is the widget is displaying the selected basemaps and also the main webmap as an option in the basemap list.  The main webmap within the widget shows as a thumbnail of the overlying layer but it is labelled as the basemap which is confusing and incorrect!

I have not specifically added the main map to the basemaps list it seems to add it in itself, is there a way to remove it, or rename it so it at least has the correct name?

Dee

15 Replies
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

This is the expected. Other than the custom ones chosen, the current active basemap will be added to the 1st of the runtime list.

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@WorcesterGTSS In your screenshot, the two basemaps should be different even though they look alike by the thumbnail. They don't share the same label either as I checked.

0 Kudos
WorcesterGTSS
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying so I've replicated my workaround in an example Experience Builder project. In the screenshot below I've added a web map to an Experience Builder project. The web map uses a custom basemap called "City of Worcester Basemap". If I turn on the Basemap option in the Map widget, I get the duplicated basemap options - one with the thumbnail and the one with no thumbnail which I have circled. There are some other custom basemaps in the list which can be ignored.

WorcesterGTSS_0-1724763317287.png

I think it is confusing to the user to have 2 instances of the same basemap like this. So my workaround is to use the standalone basemap widget. If I choose our organization default basemap group, I can keep the "City of Worcester Basemap" unchecked. As shown in this screen shot, the only basemaps I have selected from the basemap group are the 2 enhanced contrast ones. When I do that I have 3 basemaps included in the basemap picker - the 2 enhanced constrast basemaps and the basemap used in my web map which makes a lot more sense than having 2 instances of the web map basemap included in the picker.

WorcesterGTSS_1-1724763623617.png

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, @WorcesterGTSS is it possible for you to share me with this group so I can take a look at your case?

0 Kudos
WorcesterGTSS
Occasional Contributor

Yes - I did actually remove the "City of Worcester Basemap" I referenced above in my example from the group because it doesn't need to be in there, but I replicated the issue with the "City of Worcester Basemap with Buildings and Surrounding Comms" basemap in the group, encountering the same issues as in my previous example. Our basemap group is here.

0 Kudos
Michele_Hosking
New Contributor III

Yip - got the same issue - happening in the basemap picker in the map and in the basemap widget.  It if showed the correct thumbnail and not an image of my actual web map it would be fine. As it is it's confusing for the user and annoying for me.

P.S It doesn't work like this anywhere else that I have seen.  For example - instant apps are fine.

0 Kudos