Add Images within text box in Experience Builder

10-16-2023 11:55 AM
DaveK
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello! 

I'm creating an ExB application and within it I have an About window that has some instructional text. I'd like to add images and icons to the text box similar to the About window in WAB. I can't seem to figure out how to do this within ExB. Is it possible to add images to text boxes? 

Image of a WAB About window for reference:

DaveK_0-1697482430531.png

Thanks. 

13 Replies
AlpineTech
New Contributor III

It looks like you want to be able to add some free form HTML in the display, like those widgets that have a rich text format view and and a code view.  The text widget doesn't appear to do that.  You could use the Simple custom widget that ESRI provides with the Developer's Edition and make your own using React etc.  Another option is to make an external HTML page, and then use the Embed widget to display it.  

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

You could use the layout widgets to arrange Image widgets between Text widgets. You'll get the best results avoiding in-line images and using the Fixed Panel/Row/Column widgets, but if you really want to do in-line images you could try the Grid widget.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

Unfortunately, it is not possible at this time.  Please consider adding a kudo to this idea.  Combine Text with Images - Esri Community

BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Such an unfortunately lack in functionality that we can't include images/screenshots such as when building a Help widget.

BrittanyBurson_0-1704734607064.png

KaraUtter2
New Contributor III

Hi everyone, my workaround for this was to pull in a list widget into my Widget Controller, change the name to "Map Tools" and the icon to something other than the list icon. I then created a spreadsheet that had a map tool title field, image url field, and the text field. I filled these out and then used dynamic text within the list to create the Map Tools panel for my map application. I think it worked pretty slick and looks nice.

KaraUtter2_0-1707857222711.png

Christina_Appleby
New Contributor II

I'm about to do what you did, but I have a question. Where did you store the images? In your content?

0 Kudos
jrosacker
New Contributor

This is super cool! Adding on to Chistina_Appleby's question from yesterday to see if you'd share a little more about how you did this? I'm assuming you hosted the images somewhere, embedded them in an excel sheet which was then published as a table to ArcGIS Online, and then pulled into the app? Definitely interested in how you exposed each image to the internet, and whether I'm on the right track with the rest of it.

Very slick implementation.

0 Kudos
Christina_Appleby
New Contributor II

Isn't this such a clever solution?! The folks at work were super impressed I ended up loading the images to AGOL, made them public (like this), and then used the URL in the spreadsheet. Then yes, I uploaded the spreadsheet to AGOL and published it as a table. 

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

@KaraUtter2 @Christina_Appleby Would either of you be interested in writing up your procedure for the Tips and Tricks Board? I am always trying to get more authors involved and it would be good to get the perspective of someone who's done it.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos