Search for Features based on a Spatial Query: Use Spatial Relationships to Connect Trigger Data to Action Data

02-01-2023 03:57 PM
Labels (3)
LaurenWinkler
Regular Contributor

In an Experience Builder site showing parcels and address points which contains a Search widget and a List widget, our client would like to be able to search for address points in the Search widget and filter the parcel list (List widget) to show the parcel intersecting the selected address point. For example, if you search for “350 E Dahlia Ave” and select the result, the parcel list should filter to show the one parcel intersecting 350 E Dahlia Ave.

This does not appear to be possible in Experience Builder without customization. The record selection actions connect trigger data (e.g. address points) to action data (e.g. parcels) based on attribute values, but not spatial values. There is no common field between the address points (in an address locator) and the parcels feature service. We would like to see spatial relationships as an alternative way to connect trigger data to action data.

Esri Support said it's unlikely that Experience Builder will support a spatial search between two layers. They suggested using the Query widget (choose parcels in the set query, then spatial filter option, and geometry from map then use the drawn graphic as shown below), but it did not provide the necessary functionality.

2 Comments
KrystalPhaneuf4

Hello, we are running into the same issue.  We have a WAB that uses the Near Me widget that allows the user to search an address and then return a spatial overlay from that address point with all the intersecting layers.  We have tried migrating this to EB but the functionality is just not there.  We are hoping the Near Me widget in EB will perform the same way, but using the Search and Query widget is not very user friendly and doesn't perform the way we would like.  

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6f8e021cb286482b9a649e33ac6e67ea

KrystalPhaneuf4_0-1683748262906.png

rptonka12

Hello, I came across this question while trying to implement my own similar solution. We needed a way for someone to search an address and return the intersecting polygon. In WAB we had used the District Lookup widget and were disappointed to see this isn't being transferred to EB. However, I was able to create a workaround using the Near Me widget in EB by loosely following this post: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/experience-builder/natural-resources/recreating-near-me-wo.... This saved us since we had trouble finding any other 'spatial selection' type of functionality. Hope this helps!