ExB should recognize identical maps/schemas

03-06-2024 07:00 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

This is kind of a big request so I'll do my best to explain: If I have an experience that I've spent a good long while configuring, such as data actions, layouts of tables, etc. I'm always a little reluctant to make changes to anything in the map(s) that drive the experience functionality. For example, if I have an experience and a user requests some changes to an application that involve the actual layers in a map, it's really difficult to produce a new experience for them to test - if I make a duplicate web map with the adjustments requested, and then swap that map into the already existing experience, every single configuration breaks, even if the data sources have the same schema, layer indexes, etc. It would be great if I couple copy an experience, adjust a web map slightly and not have to essentially redo everything but the styling.

4 Comments
ThomasRickett

It would be nice to not have to rebuild the experience each time a layer adds a column.

ZachBodenner

Yes @ThomasRickett , perfect use-case example!

JoelBrodeur

That would be great.  To extend on that, I would love to have it so you save an experience as a "template", the template would remove all data sources and then when I create a new Experience from that template, it asks for the data source and rebuilds all my data views etc.

NedCake1

Yes! Would love to see that.