Select to view content in your preferred language

Apply the “values filtered by previous expressions” setting to expressions that use the contains operator

01-16-2024 08:38 AM
Labels (2)
HaileyWright1
New Contributor III

It would be great if the “values filtered by previous expressions” filter widget setting could be applied to expressions that use the contains operator. I can see that this capability now exists for the is operator, but when I switch the operator to contains, that setting disappears. Using a predefined list with the contains operator makes for a really great way to work with fields that contain multiple delimited values, but the ability to apply the logic to filter other filters would be great to see!

HaileyWright1_0-1705422977903.png

HaileyWright1_1-1705423029861.png

2 Comments
TonghuiMing

FYI - this is not related specifically to the 'contains' operator - it is the current behavior because predefined values only support honoring all right now.

JoseBarrios1

This is a significant limitation, and I would also love to see this operation implemented. In my case, I have a "Region" filter and a "State" filter, and I want the "State" filter to dynamically adjust its list based on the selection made in the "Region" filter.

For example:

1. Region Filter: This filter allows the user to select a region from a list of options (e.g., Region 01, Region 02, Region 03).
  2. State Filter: This filter should dynamically update its options based on the selection made in the "Region" filter. For example:
    • If Region 01 is selected, the State filter should only show options for AL, SC, and NC.
    • If Region 02 is selected, the State filter should only show options for AL, MS, and FL.
    • If Region 03 is selected, the State filter should only show options for AL, GA, and FL.

To implement this, you'd need to use a feature like "values filtered by previous expressions" or some form of dynamic filtering to ensure that the "State" filter only displays options relevant to the chosen region.

Without this dynamic filtering, you'd end up with a static list of all states in the "State" filter, which might include states that are not relevant to the selected region. This could lead to confusion and inefficiency when selecting filters