Ability to filter multiple layers based on a common field

04-28-2022 12:58 AM
Labels (3)
BlairPellegrino
New Contributor III

When using the filter widget in Experience Builder, it currently only applies to a single data source / layer.  This is proving to be a major limitation when creating experiences that have multiple layers with a common field.  Ideally I need that filter to apply to all layers based on the common field in all layers.

For example, I have added two maps side-by-side on my page - one with a layer for "scenario A" and the other with a layer for "scenario B".  The attribute tables of both layers have a common "region" field.  I've added a filter widget that filters on the "region" field from the "scenario A" layer, but there is no way for that filter to flow through to the "scenario B" layer.

In Dashboards, this can be achieved under the category selector actions by selecting the source field and the target field.  Similar functionality in Experience Builder would be really useful.

This Experience Builder question here also requests the same functionality.

41 Comments
PaulNRWA

Much needed feature.

erica_poisson

This functionality is needed ASAP to provide a seamless user experience in applications where the same layer may be duplicated at different scale levels with different symbology.

MackenzieFox1

I definitely agree that this feature is essential.

Due to the limitations of the current search widget and the fact that I need to query a date field as well as perform complex "contains" and "any of" queries across two layers, I have been having to use a timeline widget and a multitude of search widgets to create the search I want. 

Could anyone provide some insight into when this capability will become available?

Village_ofDowners_Grove

This is possible in ArcGIS Dashboards, but not Exp Bldr?  Definitely need this ...

NiekGoorman1

Yes this is needed. The Group Filter widget in the WAB is immensely useful.

edit: FYI the Functionality Matrix claims that the Group Filter widget is planned to be added to the Experience Builder:

Functionality Matrix for Web AppBuilder and Experi... - Esri Community

SFM_TravisBott

Absolutely asinine that that this doesn't already exist. The technology clearly exists in Dashboards, how can it be so difficult to get it into Experience Builder?

TimothyRogers

ESRI please do this as soon as possible. 

DanielRyan18

Please add this capability to experience builder, it is extremely useful. 

JeffreyThompson2

This is possible using current out of the box widgets. Here is a quick guide for using one list widget to filter another, but this could be done with an number of widgets including a Map widget.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/select-information-on-a-multiple-d...

SFM_TravisBott

@JeffreyThompson2  You're right, it's possible. But it's 'possible' in the sense that it's a workaround, and far from ideal. The user experience of filtering via a list is inferior to the filter functionality that you have in dashboards. If that experience exists in dashboards, why can't it exist in experience builder?