ArcGIS Experience Builder 2023 Roadmap

01-17-2023 09:49 AM
Labels (2)
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor
35 120 28.1K

Happy New Year! Here are features planned for 2023. Keep in mind that they are subject to change please.

Jianxia_0-1689385168456.pngCheers,

120 Comments
SarahNoakes1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the update @Jianxia - I'm looking forward to that geoprocessing widget!

Thomas1
Occasional Contributor

Happy new year @Jianxia. Unfortunately it looks like it will be another long and frustrating year with Viewer Classic and WAB, waiting for URL parameters... 

DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

Shame to see the Batch Editor widget still isn't on there.

HazelTaylor
New Contributor

Hi @Jianxia 

Any news on the Print widget?

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Thomas1 understand. 

@DataOfficer The batch attribute editing has a dependency on ArcGIS Map SDK for JavaScript. Once available, we will pull it into the Edit widget. Hopefully we will have it around Q4 2023. 

@HazelTaylor The Print widget is available in the product since last June. https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/experience-builder/announcements/whats-new-in-arcgis-exper...

HollyTorpey_LSA

@Jianxia Hello and thank you for the update!

I'm intrigued by this Q2 item: "Near Me widget (include capabilities in Situation Awareness, Screening, and Info Summary)."

Do you mean that you will be adding one new widget that incorporates elements from all four?

We use the Screening widget in a couple of apps and I'd love to see it in Experience Builder soon!

Thanks!

Holly

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@HollyTorpey_LSA , You guess it right. Near Me is a "super widget" that incorporates capabilities from all four. Unfortunately, the reporting capability from the Screening widget will not be there in the initial release of Near Me in ExB.

SarahNoakes1

Hi @Jianxia  - do you know when the reporting capability of the screening widget might be available in the Near Me "super widget"? Is it in the roadmap for later on?

HazelTaylor
New Contributor

Hi @Jianxia , thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have been more specific with my first question. I was wondering when the Print widget will be available in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@SarahNoakes1, Like printing, Esri is working on bringing the reporting capability to ArcGIS Online. Hopefully, ExB could leverage it in early 2024 once available. 

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@HazelTaylor , The Print widget will be available in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 planned to be available in April 2023 as of now. The Print widget is not in 11. I just updated my comment here. Thanks for the clarification.

JamieLambert

Hi @Jianxia,

Happy New Year! Great list of widget coming this year. Are there any plans for the Emergency Response Guide widget? Thanks.

Jamie.

Galen
by
New Contributor II

Hi @Jianxia, does the "App URL Parameters" item include allowing the Share widget to maintain layer visibility and current extent? This is a critical piece of missing functionality that is restricting my organization from moving to ExB. Thanks.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@JamieLambert unfortunately, the Emergency Response Guide widget (ERG) is not planned to be migrated over. I would recommend submitting a request to Esri Support. See the latest update on widgets migration status and plan.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Galen that's the plan. We plan to carry over URL parameters from WAB to the Share widget in ExB in a UI friendly style.

AndersØstmoe
New Contributor II

Thanks for the roadmap! I was really hoping for the Geoprocessing widget to appear earlier, though. This widget will expand the possibilities for the create and analyze processes through Experience Builder immensely. Now I am crossing my fingers for seing it released in 2023!

DouglasWilder
New Contributor II

Isn't the Basemap Gallery widget already in production? Or will this be a new basemap widget? 

RobynPepin
New Contributor

hi @Jianxia thanks for this list! is applying filters to multiple layers hidden in the roadmap somewhere? Similar to dashboard functionality (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-ideas/group-filter-widget/idi-p/1062030

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-ideas/ability-to-filter-multiple-layers-base...)

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@DouglasWilder like the Search widget, the Basemap Gallery widget will be a standalone widget allowing you to configure which basemaps you'd like to add to. The Basemap tool on the Map widget does not provide any configuration options but reads the basemap gallery setting from your organization.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@RobynPepin , thanks for the reminder. The group filter capability is planned to be migrated over. Currently there is no estimated timeline. 

GIS_Solutions

The geoprocessing widget should definitely be released earlier!
Thanks to this widget, we can move many processes to the web environment.

DJB
by
New Contributor III

Hi @Jianxia,

When setting up the the Query widget in the Web App Builder users were able to add the query results to the layer list that users could then toggle on and off. 

Will this functionality fall under the Add Data widget that will be coming in Q1 2023?

StefanUseldinger

I am also looking for the batch editor widget

HeatherBell
Occasional Contributor

Batch editor would be really useful (if not neccessary) for our community database applications. Hope to see this rolled out in 2023. Thank you!

LaurenKuyer
New Contributor II

Hi @Jianxia ,

Will the WAB Select Widget be migrated over to Experience Builder? I would like the ability to control which layers are selectable on the map. 

Thank you!

Lauren

NedCake1
Occasional Contributor

I am really looking forward to URL Parameters!  That capability is really preventing me from migrating my apps from WAB DE to EB.

To be clear... This functionality should allow EB to receive an incoming search parameter for a feature in the map, then select and zoom to the feature.

Thank You

Ned

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@HeatherBell @StefanUseldinger , The batch attribute editing capability has a dependency on ArcGIS Maps SDK for JavaScript. Currently there is no timeline yet. We will forward your requests to the JavaScript team. Thanks for letting us know.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@LaurenKuyer , Understand the select tool on the Map widget has limitations compared to the standalone Select widget in WAB.  We plan to bring the standalone Select widget in Experience Builder. It is most likely on the 2024 roadmap. Thanks.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@NedCake1, We plan to bring most URL parameters from WAB to Experience Builder in 2023 so you can migrate your WAB apps. Thanks for being patient with us.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to the new slice tool.

We've been working with ESRI support and there's a known BUG related to custom road network service in the Directions widget of ExB.  Do you know if it will be resolved in the upcoming release?  I believe it might be related to the JavaScript 4.x, since custom road networks also don't work in the new map viewer. 

ClayDonaldsonSWCA

Will the add data widget support KMZ/KML in 2023? 

KennyLohr1
New Contributor II

Hi, @Jianxia

We have been waiting for URL parameters to be supported in ExB,  having recently built a solution based on Web AppBuilder because it supports the parameters, and unfortunately knowing it would be retired soon.  And here we are.  We use the id, center, level, and showLayers URL parameters in WAB.  Are you able to disclose a complete list of parameters that are planned to be supported, or whether or not these particular ones will be?  This will help drive our migration schedule.  Thanks!

AmaiaMartinez
New Contributor III

Hi there, when do you plan to release the Q1 version?

TomDuncanGIS
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update @Jianxia, it looks like Experience Builder development is really picking up steam!

I have spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out Experience Builder, and have found the existing online training sparce, even for organizations like me with online training included. I see full fledged two-day paid courses are coming later this year, but that will be financially out of reach for many people. Adoption of Experience Builder will be greatly accelerated, and with less grumbling if more free online training is made available for organizations with free online training, which I suspect is most users.

TomDuncanGIS
New Contributor III

Hi @Jianxia , thanks again for the update.  This morning I added five suggestions to the Experience Builder ideas page. but I wanted to summarize them here, in case you could shed some light on whether or not these ideas are already being considered, or have any other helpful suggestions.

1. Add App State Checkbox, like Web AppBuilder
    Please add a checkbox similar to what exists in Web AppBuilder,  to enable or disable the current state of the Application. Checked on, it will retain the map extent and layers visiblity while leaving the app.  Checked off, the app will be refreshed to a clean start.  

2. Open Feature Info Widget when selecting a map feature
    The Feature Info widget does not automatically open when clicking on a map Feature.  Requiring the user to manually open the Feature Info widget is very confusing, especially after years of being conditioned to seeing a pop-up appear upon clicking on a feature. I have tried configuring every variation of triggers and data actions I can find, but no luck.  Is there a setting I am missing, or is this functionality missing from EB?

3. Add Web AppBuilder Classic Tab Theme to Starting Templates
    I find the implementation of widgets in the Sidebar Instant App to be to be a superior way to display any tool widget rather than the traditional window on top of the map that usually needs to be moved, resized and does not show enough information.  This is also why the Tab Theme is my favorite Web AppBuilder Template.    I think it would be very useful to many people to add the Web AppBuilder Tab Theme as one of the WebAppBuilder Classic starting templates.

4. Configure Feature Info Widget to display attributes from multiple layers
    One of the limitations in the Feature info widget I have found is it can only display attributes from one feature. This then forces configuration of a separate feature info widget to display attributes for each layer, which will be very confusing for the user. The Sidebar Instant App has a very elegant implementation that drills down through all layers that have pop-ups enabled in the web map, and displays a header for each layer in the sidebar view. Please enable the Feature Info Widget to display attributes from multiple layers, similar to function in the Sidebar Instant App.

5. Add "Clear Selection" button to Feature Info display
    One of the limitations in the Feature info widget I have found is that there is no "Clear Selection" button within the attribute display.  The only option to clear the selection is to enable the select option on the map, which I find to be a poor implementation (looking forward to the stand-alone Select widget!), and will confusing for the user to look in a different place than the Feature attribute window. The Sidebar Instant App has a clear and simple method of clearing the feature selection from within the attribute display window. Please add a "Clear Selection" button to the attribute window of the Feature Info widget, similar to how it is implemented in the Sidebar Instant App.
Cathi_Balch
New Contributor

Hi @Jianxia - Thanks for the roadmap and Q1 release.

Excited for the BA widget to finally be out of beta and to include the workflow mode! After testing it out, I have a couple of comments. 

1. I've noticed than when using both the BA widget and the Map Layer List widget in a published app, running the BA widget will add random "unnamed layers" to the Map Layer List. These layers do not go away unless the user closes / refreshes the browser page. 
  2. Will the ability to use the BA widget by drawing a freehand or custom polygon be added in future versions? I have users that rely on this option in WAB.
LindaSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Is there any plan or thought to be able to easily add google analytics to an experience builder app, similar to how we can currently do it in hub and story maps? Our management is pushing me to get some better analytics other than number of hits on the main app, and we do not have the ability to host a custom app where we can add google analytics to the html. We want to be able to get analytics on all of the pages within our exB as well. 

SarahNoakes1

Hi @Jianxia ,
The Near Me super widget is due in Q2 - is that still on track and do you know yet when it will be released?
Thanks,
Sarah
Cornwall Council

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Anonymous User, could you share the bug or case number from Esri Support regarding the custom road network service in the Directions widget? 

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@ClayDonaldsonSWCA Currently the Add Data widget supports adding KML layer via URL. If you want to upload KMZ/KML files, you may submit an enhancement request.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@KennyLohr1 The goal is to reach the parity of WAB App URL parameters in ExB at the end of this year. Thanks for sharing the URL parameters you are using in the WAB app. Your request has been added to the backlog.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@TomDuncanGIS, Thank you for letting us know. We are trying to come up more learn lessons. The following links may help get started:

HugoAlameda
New Contributor

Thanks for the roadmap. Looking forward to Batch Update.

TomDuncanGIS
New Contributor III

@Jianxia thanks for the training and resources links. I have found many of those, but I had not see many others. I'm looking forward to release of the new training resources.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@TomDuncanGIS , thanks for sharing these ideas and summarize them! For ideas #1,3 4,5, they have been added to issues in the backlog. For #2 Open Feature Info Widget when selecting a map feature,
Could you please clarify it a bit? Looks like you add the Feature Info widget to a Widget Controller and would like to have it open when a feature on the map is selected. Is that correct? Otherwise, you can add it outside the Widget Controller widget like a side panel so it opens all the time as shown below. 

Jianxia_2-1680645115340.png 

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Cathi_Balch , thanks for testing the BA widget. @FasilTiru, could you please look at these two issues mentioned below:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-blog/arcgis-experience-builder-2023-roadmap/...

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@LindaSlattery, your request to support google analytics has been added to a backlog issue. It is under the consideration of the development team. No timeline yet. Thanks for letting us know.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@SarahNoakes1, yes, the Near Me widget (beta) is on the track for the June release of Experience Builder in ArcGIS Online.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@HugoAlameda, your request for batch attribute editing has been added to a backlog issue. Thanks for letting us know.

FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

@Cathi_Balch Thanks for the feedback.

1. We are aware of this bug and plan to fix it for the next release. When you use the BA widget, the sites you create are added to the map and that's why you see "unnamed layers" label in the legend and map layer list widgets.

2. We are also working on this feature for the next release. The BA widget will work with the Draw widget when you create polygon features or drop a point feature using the draw widget.

Fasil

BA Team

About the Author
Product Manager for ArcGIS Experience Builder and ArcGIS Web Appbuilder. She likes camping and hiking.