Why would services would take 100x longer to publish in 10.4 vs 10.2

Jump to solution
05-17-2016 03:43 PM
NeoGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

I am in the process of migrating from ArcGIS server 10.2 to 10.4 on a strict timeline for forced server migration and I am finding that the same services when republished on 10.4 with identical hardware resources take 100 to 150 times longer to publish, like going from 5-10 seconds in ArcGIS 10.2, to 10-15 minutes to publish in 10.4.  If publishing was something that was a do once and forget about it process this would not be a problem, but with 10.4 the services actually stop responding when republishing a service and during emergencies we sometimes have to make changes and republish hundreds of times and the downtime is not acceptable.  We have some services using local paths, some using SDE, and none using UNC paths.  Publishing for all of them on 10.4 is slow, though the services using data in SDE are most affected as they were the slowest to start with, though it is too slow even for the ones that only use local data. 

Any ideas what might be causing this?

The only other thing I can think of that changed is the Server OS, which is now Server 2012 with AGS 10.4 vs Server 2008 R2 with AGS 10.2.    Some of the sde data was reloaded in a new spatial data standard and it came to my attention that all of the new datasets after reloading are of Geometry spatial data type rather than binary in SDE since ESRI made that the default data type once the database was upgraded last time.  I have seen the problems people are having with performance with the geometry spatial data type, which could be causing some of my sde slowness, but even the services not using SDE publish much slower.

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanielOchoa
Occasional Contributor

J N you are not alone.  I have a single machine setup, was using 10.3.1 for sever with a MS SQL 2014-based enterprise geodatabase (SDE) with no issues - migrated to 10.4, and wound up with the same exact issue you had, plus showing zero instances running of my published maps, even though they actually were running.  If I wanted to see instances running = 1, then I had to restart each service in catalog.  Got the 10.4.1 patch - issues persisted with NO change/improvement. Services randomly take 5-15 minutes to publish or (copy over or create new makes no difference) whereas before they took less than a minute. NOTHING has changed, only the newer software. Plus, I only have 10 map services running, so its not the 100-250+ that the bug describes. 

0 Kudos
NeoGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

I have 18 map services running (that includes counting twice the ones that have feature access).  The tech did initially say that https could slow things down a little (we were not using https in 10.2) but not by that much. I am confident they will fix it now that they are working on it, just not sure how long we will have to wait.  I also opened a support ticket for a problem with exporting in 10.4 that they were able to recreate, so I also will have to wait for that one to be fixed before moving to 10.4.x.  I will keep you guys updated if any short term fixes/workarounds are found.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FYI, ArcGIS for Server Publishing Patch is now available.

Hope this helps,