Why is the Createusers.bat tool a piece of crap

Jump to solution
07-31-2020 09:37 AM
AndrewDolch2
New Contributor III

I am trying to add users through the Createusers.bat tool and it does not work it keeps giving me an error that it cannot read the file, it gets Incorrect Format in line incorrect format in line.   I have tried several ways and it several different ways and it still has not work.   I am putting it in as username@domain|viewer|viewer,   which is the way  I was told and yet it still gives me the same error.   Am I doing something wrong or is this another useless tool that was developed by ESRI

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewDolch2
New Contributor III

This is not helpful.   I will call tomorrow 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ShaneMiles
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew Dolch‌, 

Try the steps outlined at the bottom of the page Add members to your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise . Pay close attention to User type id - This normally has a UT at the end. For example: 

"user type id—The id of the user type to which the member will be assigned. The user type id is the name of the user type with UT appended to the end. Some examples of user type id values for the standard user types include: viewerUT, editorUT, fieldworkerUT, creatorUT, GISProfessionalBasicUT, GISProfessionalStdUT, and GISProfessionalAdvUT."

Shane

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I would also suggest contacting Technical Support and relaying that the errors returned to from the tool are not descriptive enough for you to know how to fix the problem.

AndrewDolch2
New Contributor III

@Jonathanquinn,  your assistance is not at all helpful.   I will contact ESRI support and try to get a better solution. 

0 Kudos
AndrewDolch2
New Contributor III

I've tried it with everyone's suggestions and it is and still having the same issues.  I think it is Esri being Esri and chalking it up to that.  I wish they would make this a lot more user friendly

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There are many customers who have success with the tool. My assumption is that the contents of your file are incorrect.

Are you still entering them in the format username@domain|viewer|viewer? If so, that doesn't match the format the tool expects, as described in the documentation linked in the first comment:

Add members to your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

<login>|<email address>|<name>|<role>|<user type id>|<description>|<Idp UserName>|<first name>|<last name>

AndrewDolch2
New Contributor III

This is not helpful.   I will call tomorrow 

0 Kudos
ShaneMiles
Esri Contributor

Good luck Andrew Dolch‌, I hope you get the assistance you are looking for.