Select to view content in your preferred language

Where is libst_raster_pg.dll for PostgreSQL 9.2?

Jump to solution
10-13-2014 07:25 AM
DuarteCarreira
Occasional Contributor II

I am upgrading my 10.0 geodatabase to 10.2. All my rasters are failing because I am using st_raster storage type.

I followed instructions [1] to install libst_raster_pg.dll but keep getting version mismatch errors. Apparently I can only find this dll for PostgreSQL 9.0! Even on a 10.2.2 installation there's only 1 dll and that's for pgsql 9.0...

It is stated very clearly [2] that pgsql 9.2 is supported at arcgis 10.2.x. There are not restrictions nor limitations pointed out.

Thanks.

Duarte

[1] ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

[2] System Requirements

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuarteCarreira

Got a final response from esri. There is no solution until 10.3 is released. You have to stick to PostgreSQL 9.0.

On our side, we are droping st_esri and revert our rasters to bytea or remove them from the geodatabase.

Hope this helps someone else.

Duarte

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Duarte,

The DLL that you are referencing is not located in the ArcGIS install location. The DLL is located in the ArcSDE for PostgreSQL installation package. I did verify that it is in the BIN folder.

Here is the documentation for the installing the ST_Raster function for PostgreSQL:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//006z000000p8000000

Hopefully this will get you up and running.

-George

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

George, thanks for your tip. But that was what I did. The included dll is for postgresql 9.0.

Duarte

VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

While some users have created custom streams on keywords, not all have.  To insure that as may appropriate members see your question as possible, please post questions in a space or group associated with your question, not in your own private homepage.  For this topic, I would think that Enterprise GIS would be the most likely candidate.

I would recommend you contact Tech Support directly on this issue.

- V

0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

Hi Vince.

What can I do? I was not even aware that I created a "custom stream". I started by going to ArcGIS Server group and ended up here... can I move it now?

On your recommendation, I thought I could get a faster response this way. If no one answers I will try support...

Duarte

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

You didn't create a custom stream, but it would be necessary for every other user to do so to see content in your Discussions page.

I've never moved content, but initial posting in the correct space should be as simple as navigating to the space, and choosing the "Create Discussion" or "Create:... Discussion" in that space.  Then, before pressing the Post button, make sure that the "In a Place" radio button is selected (vice "The GeoNet Community", which hides the post under your private Discussions).  It looks like you can move a posting by going to the posting by clicking on its title, then using the "Move" link in the Actions list to the right.

Tech Support is the best venue for addressing this gap in DLL distribution.  Waiting to contact them is delaying your resolution.

- V

0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

Moved to Enterprise GIS – ArcGIS for Server… hope it gets picked up by more people.

0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

Got a final response from esri. There is no solution until 10.3 is released. You have to stick to PostgreSQL 9.0.

On our side, we are droping st_esri and revert our rasters to bytea or remove them from the geodatabase.

Hope this helps someone else.

Duarte

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

While it's unfortunate that ST_RASTER wasn't released with PG 9.1 and 9.2 implementations, I think the root issue is that using databases to store rasters peaked in the ArcGIS 8.3-9.1 timeframe.  Once ArcGIS Server 9.2 could fashion mapping caches, the need for a tiled basemap in the database waned. Modern raster support hinges around mosaic datasets, which are file-based, and are much faster and more flexible than database solutions.  Mosaic datasets have the benefits of retaining the original images in their native format, provide overlays for tiled access, permit on-the-fly calculation of alternate forms (e.g, hillshade from a DEM and reclassification), and they don't fill your database transaction logs with terabytes of static data (greatly simplifying the database backup situation).  Rather than reverting to storing BLOBs in databases (which was a pre-8.0 solution), I'd recommend giving mosaic datasets a chance.

- V

0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

Vince, that is a good suggestion. But I was under the impression raster mosaics cannot be published by ArcGIS Server unless you acquire a license for an Image extension.

Also, "traditional" raster datasets in the database are so fast we do not feel the need to create tile services for them. We just serve them directly as a normal map service layer. In fact, we have a map service with all our raster datasets, and use it in our web apps as needed.

0 Kudos