use branch version in map viewer

Jump to solution
02-21-2022 05:17 AM
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

dears i work with branch version, i want to use a named branch version instead of DEAFULT in map viewer. how could i do that!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hi MoelSaket,

I believe what Craig explained is accurate. You should also be able to add your layer with the URL having the gdbVersion parameter. For example, see below:

https://serverName.esri.com/server/rest/services/serviceName/FeatureServer/4?gdbversion=versionName

Thanks!

Justin

View solution in original post

12 Replies
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Hi Moelsaket

I don't believe that is possible, but you can create a basic Experience Builder app and include the Branch Version Management widget which will allow users to switch versions.

There's a useful video here which shows you how to configure the widget - Manage Your Branch Versions with ArcGIS Experience Builder

Hope this is useful!

Craig

DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Hey Craig, thanks for your help but this is not acceptable approach, we want to use Branch version with MapViewer to be able to integrate with Dashboard and other ESRI's apps.

I got a workaround to do this by creating a complex DB view for each Branch version then publish this DB views on Enterprise to use in MapView or Dashboard. BUT the problem is we integrate with Third-Party apps so there are another complex SQL Views so it's too complicated to use views with branch versions. whoever now I search for a way that lead me to be able to access a specific version into MapViewer without DB view. 

I think maybe version id which can located at: "https://<MachinName>/server/rest/services/<ServiceName>/VersionManagementServer/versions" maybe it helps in my case but till now I don't know how is it works, so I'm searching. I hope you can help.

0 Kudos
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Hi Moelsaket

I haven't had the opportunity to test this for your exact scenarios, but with the latest version of Map Viewer in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 (i.e. formerly Map Viewer Beta) you can specify Custom Parameters when adding a layer from a URL (see Add layers from a URL).

CraigRussell_0-1646569129535.png

When you do this, the parameter is appended to all requests to the specified resource.  So theoretically, you could add gdbVersion as the parameter and the named version as the value and it should target that version for ArcGIS Server requests.

You can add/update custom parameters for layers added by other means (e.g. browsing layers) by opening the layer properties.

CraigRussell_2-1646569800237.png

As I said, I haven't been able to test this for your scenarios, so hopefully this is a solution or at least a starting point.

0 Kudos
shapirot
New Contributor III

This works to view versions in the web map, but when trying to edit the version added to the web map using this method, it will not allow adding or editing features.  For testing purposes, I made this version public.  I am able to edit the default version with no issues.  How can I make data edits in the version?  Thank you

ShapiroGIS_0-1708109609462.png

0 Kudos
AneteZvaigzneLV
New Contributor III

Did you all have no problems when creating an experience that switches between versions - as shown in this video? I could not make it happen. 

0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hi MoelSaket,

I believe what Craig explained is accurate. You should also be able to add your layer with the URL having the gdbVersion parameter. For example, see below:

https://serverName.esri.com/server/rest/services/serviceName/FeatureServer/4?gdbversion=versionName

Thanks!

Justin

DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JustinMuise,

thanks a lot  for your help, it works well.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is this only possible with Map Viewer 10.9.1?

We've been looking for the ability to share different Branch Versions of a service outside of Pro without the need to take data offline and then sync later. Distributed Databases was nice to be able to synchronize data between different databases. For example, we could have a production database and a development database. 

We've been thinking we could do this with Branch Versioning but it seems like the only way to switch between versions with a direct link to the geodatabase is within Pro. We would like to publish services to our Portal with different versions.

0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

The method discussed in the solution of this thread should be possible with previous versions of ArcGIS Enterprise.

Unfortunately for now, you are correct however - Distributed Geodatabase functionality is not currently supported with Branch Versioning and you cannot publish a specific version to ArcGIS Enterprise. However, you should be able to use the solution of this thread to add a service to a web map to access a version (e.g. adding the gdbVersion parameter in the URL).

Hope this helps!

Justin

0 Kudos