Upgrade to 10.6 - how to uninstall st_raster

Jump to solution
07-12-2018 02:26 AM
DuarteCarreira
Occasional Contributor II

st_raster is no longer distributed with 10.6, so what happens when upgrading from 10.5? Obviously I can't copy the libst_raster_pg.dll to the database as I used to.

So the question is: how to remove st_raster from our database?

Database is postgresql 9.3, that we need to upgrade to 9.6 before upgrading the geodatabase, to have a supported postgresql.

To upgrade we are going to use pg_upgrade which is the recommended approach instead of a backup/restore.

Thanks.

Duarte

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuarteCarreira

So I forgot to close this with the final answer.

I started with tech support on July 7th.

On 2018/08/31:

BUG-000107835 : Upgrading PostgreSQL from 9.4.5 to 9.5.3 using the pg_upgrade command fails when ST_Geometry is configured.

On 2018/11/07:

The status of Esri BUG-000116414 - Unable to upgrade or restore ArcGIS 10.5.1 geodatabase/PostgreSQL 9.5 to ArcGIS 10.6/PostgreSQL 9.6 when ST_Raster is installed. - that you have been associated with has been changed to Implemented.

Public Explanation:                   

Case Number: 02147567                            

Version Fixed: 10.7.0

2 months to get an actionable answer. Which was: don't use the latest release that you payed for. No hot-fix made no work-around.

Still waiting for 10.7 to see with my own eyes if I'll be able to upgrade. Fingers crossed.

Not a happy camper.

UPDATE Nov-2020

I found a tech article with a script to remove st_raster objects:

Bug: Cannot upgrade/restore ArcGIS 10.5.1 geodatabase/PostgreSQL 9.5 to ArcGIS 10.6/PostgreSQL 9.6 w... 

No one notified me of this, so I'm putting this here for any one in the same boat.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you have raster data in the geodatabase (which is not recommended) then you can follow this help: Convert raster data from ST_Raster to RASTERBLOB storage—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You basically change the Configuration Keyword and remove the ST_Raster option.

Geodatabase

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

I don't have any raster data and config word is not st_raster.

My doubt is what to do with the libst_raster_pg.dll I have on the lib folder that's v 10.5.1.

When upgrading we're told to replace esri's dll's with the new versions. so st_geometry will be replaced with the new 10.6. But what about libst_raster_pg.dll? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Delete it

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would take a database backup before deleting anything just in case.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

That is a good idea, but if you did not use the ST_Raster, there should not be any impact. It is just an "extra" file that is not part of the standard DB install.

But I do agree to take a full backup before the Postgres or GDB upgrade.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

arcgis creates a series of objects in the sde schema that depend on that libst_raster_pg.dll, namely the st_raster type and a series of st_* functions. Once you delete the dll all of these will provoke errors in postgresql.

Also, if you deleted the dll, in the future when you try to upgrade say to postgresql 9.6, the missing dll will prevent restoring of objects that depend on the missing dll. Also, you will not be able to use pg_upgrade - the preferred way to upgrade postgresql - since all binaries must be present in both versions - the old and the new.

I hope the recommended way to upgrade a geodatabase is not to "brute force delete" a library in use by objects of the geodatabase.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I am not sure, I thought that you added the ST_Raster, as a file, **if you wanted ST_Raster**. I do not think that it is required.

I have never had to add it before. I only added the ST_Geometry library with my Postgres DB's.

Here is the information related to v 10.5 and ST_Raster:

The ST_Raster data type—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Install ST_Raster in PostgreSQL—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

I'm sorry I must not have been clear from the start. The problem only appears when you have a geodatabase with st_raster installed. Which is my case. When I heard st_raster was to be discontinued I moved all raster out of the database. But the sde system types and functions, etc., still exist. Hence the difficulty to upgrade without i) removing them or ii) having a 10.6 dll.

Thanks for your comments.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, I do not think that would be an issue as long as the data is not in ST_RASTER. The underlying functions should still work. I do not think that you should have to "remove" anything.

Have you attempted and upgrade and received an error?

--- George T.
0 Kudos