Select to view content in your preferred language

Upgrade to 10.6 - how to uninstall st_raster

Jump to solution
07-12-2018 02:26 AM
DuarteCarreira
Occasional Contributor II

st_raster is no longer distributed with 10.6, so what happens when upgrading from 10.5? Obviously I can't copy the libst_raster_pg.dll to the database as I used to.

So the question is: how to remove st_raster from our database?

Database is postgresql 9.3, that we need to upgrade to 9.6 before upgrading the geodatabase, to have a supported postgresql.

To upgrade we are going to use pg_upgrade which is the recommended approach instead of a backup/restore.

Thanks.

Duarte

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DuarteCarreira

I was trying to go from 9.3 to 9.6 and that's impossible without the dll for 9.6.

So now I've done the upgrade from 9.3 to 9.5, keeping with geodatabase at 10.5.1.

The next step is to try upgrade that geodatabase to 10.6 and see how that goes. Hopefully arcmap will automatically remove all traces of st_raster, and I'll be able to delete the dll.

Only then will I be able to upgrade postgresql from 9.5 to 9.6.

Note that arcgis 10.6 does not support postgresql 9.3 so I had to ugprade postgresql.

0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

I have now upgrade postgresql 9.5 + esri 10.5.1 to esri 10.6.

st_raster type and functions in sde schema are not deleted.

This means it is not possible to upgrade to postgresql 9.6.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

At this point, you should create an Esri support case and talk to an analyst for more guidance.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DuarteCarreira

So I forgot to close this with the final answer.

I started with tech support on July 7th.

On 2018/08/31:

BUG-000107835 : Upgrading PostgreSQL from 9.4.5 to 9.5.3 using the pg_upgrade command fails when ST_Geometry is configured.

On 2018/11/07:

The status of Esri BUG-000116414 - Unable to upgrade or restore ArcGIS 10.5.1 geodatabase/PostgreSQL 9.5 to ArcGIS 10.6/PostgreSQL 9.6 when ST_Raster is installed. - that you have been associated with has been changed to Implemented.

Public Explanation:                   

Case Number: 02147567                            

Version Fixed: 10.7.0

2 months to get an actionable answer. Which was: don't use the latest release that you payed for. No hot-fix made no work-around.

Still waiting for 10.7 to see with my own eyes if I'll be able to upgrade. Fingers crossed.

Not a happy camper.

UPDATE Nov-2020

I found a tech article with a script to remove st_raster objects:

Bug: Cannot upgrade/restore ArcGIS 10.5.1 geodatabase/PostgreSQL 9.5 to ArcGIS 10.6/PostgreSQL 9.6 w... 

No one notified me of this, so I'm putting this here for any one in the same boat.

0 Kudos