08-05-2015 01:48 AM
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Having it checked or not should effect you services.​  On the client side, if they are allowed to cache locally, the first time they "visit" a location/scale that displays your cache tiles, it may be a little slower for them since it will copy the tiles to their local machine.  Next time they go to the same area, it will be much faster for them since it is on their local machine.

I would guess, in theory, that since they do not need to retrieve the tiles from your service again, this could potentionally put less activity on your service (but I'm not an expert on that).

For imagery that doesn't change, caching locally works great. But keep in mind that if you have data that changes often but is cached and allows them to cache locally, they may not get the new, updated tiles.  (And of course, if the service is dynamic, this isn't an issue)

edit: sorry, that should have said, "should not effect your services"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Majdoleen,

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Allow clients to cache tiles locally

When this box is checked, Esri client applications, such as ArcMap, are allowed to keep a local cache of any tiles they retrieve from the server. This can help the client view the tiles more quickly when returning to the area. Clients must manually clear their cache to get any newer tiles from the server; therefore, consider unchecking this box if you'll be updating your cache frequently.

Think Location
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Hi Jayanta,

I've read this help, but actually couldn't understand the effect if we unchecked the tick, Does it affect the orthophoto services, or the feature services.

Have you tried it??

it is come by default checked.

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Having it checked or not should effect you services.​  On the client side, if they are allowed to cache locally, the first time they "visit" a location/scale that displays your cache tiles, it may be a little slower for them since it will copy the tiles to their local machine.  Next time they go to the same area, it will be much faster for them since it is on their local machine.

I would guess, in theory, that since they do not need to retrieve the tiles from your service again, this could potentionally put less activity on your service (but I'm not an expert on that).

For imagery that doesn't change, caching locally works great. But keep in mind that if you have data that changes often but is cached and allows them to cache locally, they may not get the new, updated tiles.  (And of course, if the service is dynamic, this isn't an issue)

edit: sorry, that should have said, "should not effect your services"

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Thank you Rebecca, it is very helpful, really appreciate.

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Hi Rebecca,

You said "it will copy the tiles to their local machine"? do you have any idea where it exactly is saved in the local machine?

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

For ArcMap/Catalog, the path  should be the one that you can clear/set using the ArcMap Options (in Customize menu):

Which for me is "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches". 

If you are talking about web map users, I'm not sure if or where they are loaded locally.

0 Kudos
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Thank you Rebecca,

As I understood that when checking the “allow clients to cache tiles locally” option, the cache will be on the clients local machine, Am I right ?

So, I am asking where the cache will be safe on the client local machine?

Thank you,

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Majdoleen,

The cache is still created on your local server in the "cache directory" as shown in your graphic above.  The cache can either be created in-part or 100% when you first create your service, or by running the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles tool after creating the service (my preference), or by checking "Create tile on command"....or a combination of the above.

What is cached on the clients machine is similar to the "on command"  option above.  If a client browses over to a new area, the cached tiles will be downloaded to the client machine for that location and scale.  I the cache tile does not exists yet on the server and "create cache scale on command" is checked, it will also create on the server.

Remember, the tiles will only be created a the scales allowed by the service. However, if the client is using ArcMap and the viewing scale does not fall on a particular tile scale, it will down load on of cache tile scales, and then interpretable for viewing (but the tiles downloaded are at the services tile scale).

So, to answer what I think you are asking, the cache is safe on your server. The client would just have a copy of the cache in the areas and scales the "visit", and the purpose of allowing the client to download a copy is to make repeat visits faster, since they can pull the tiles from their local machine instead of having to re-download.  I hope that answers you question.

BTW - I'm the tagging ArcGIS for Server​ group since this is a server discussion, not a flex.  If you get a chance, you should Moving Content​  the discussion to that location.

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Thank you Rebrecca, it is already moved.

0 Kudos