Standard Analysis - Interpolate Points Error

05-02-2018 05:39 AM
WilliamMartins1
New Contributor II

Hi,

I get the following message when I try to perform Interpolate Points:

"Error

InterpolatePoints failed."

I tried a lot of different variations and keep getting the same message. What could it be?

I use ArcGIS Enterprise Standard.

In a similar post someone answered that Interpolate Points is available only with GeoStatistical Analyst, but this option is available under the standard tools / standard analysis.

Also, If I try with < 10 points, is shows the message:

"Error

Not enough data to compute method. At least 10 points are required. InterpolatePoints failed." which makes me think it is not a license or permission problem.

It is also not a role/privilege issue (I have Publisher role).

Thanks in advance

13 Replies
WilliamMartins1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan! Thanks for the message

I've found these threads before, two of them do not relate to the Error message I'm getting and the other, I believe, has an insufficient answer.

It is definitely not a problem of having less than 10 points, as this Error message ("Not enough data to compute method. At least 10 points are required...") is shown only when I use, in fact, less than 10 points.

Under this thread

https://community.esri.com/thread/196221-what-license-is-required-to-perform-spatial-analyses-by-int...

the provided answer seems inaccurate as I mentioned in my thread. I list the reasons:
1) There is Interpolate Points under Standard Analysis (it is listed in http://enterprise.arcgis.com and otherwise the option would not even be available (visible) to me).
2) If I try to use Interpolate Points with < 10 points it asks for more points (why would it do it if the tool is not available for my version?).

The reason for this Error is still unclear to me.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Geostatistical analyst perhaps?

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/interpolate-points.htm

Then the standard caveats of privileges, permissions and signin

Interpolate Points uses Empirical Bayesian Kriging to perform the interpolation, which is available in the Interpolation toolset of the Geostatistical Analyst extension toolbox.

Interpolate Points is also available in ArcGIS Pro. To run the tool from ArcGIS Pro, your project's active portal must be running Portal for ArcGIS 10.5 or later. You must also sign in to the portal using an account that has privileges to perform standard feature analysis in the portal.

0 Kudos
WilliamMartins1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

From what I understand in this link the Geostatistical Analyst extension applies to ArcGIS Desktop.

The error message in the log refers to:

Error executing tool. .... {"messageCode": "AO 100104", "message": "InterpolatePoints failed."} Failed to execute       (InterpolatePoints).

Does it say anything to you?

I did not find this same error code in other threads.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No, I did provide the link to Interpolate points for PRO.

Nothing has helped and no one else is weighing in, so you would best file a case with Tech Support

PaulMorrison2
New Contributor II

Did you ever find a resolution?   I encounter the same problem in Portal.

For the record, I tested Bayesian Kriging and the process worked flawless, so I know the dataset is fine.

0 Kudos
WilliamMartins1
New Contributor II

Hi Paul

Unfortunately no.

I've been using interpolation tools on Desktop and then exporting it to Enterprise. Likewise, I'm also confident that the input data is not the problem.

I filled a request with ESRI technical support some weeks ago but got no answer.

0 Kudos
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi William,

Is there any way you can provide your data?  I know data is often confidential, but the only way this will get resolved is if we can run it in a debugger to get better error information.  If possible, attaching a zip file to this thread will be easiest.  If that is not acceptable, please let me know, and we can figure out a confidential way to figure this out.

0 Kudos
WilliamMartins1
New Contributor II

Hi Eric,

thank you for your reply. As you mention, the data I'm working with is confidential. Nevertheless, I attached a file (Analysis.zip) which I used to verify if number formats and distribution could be affecting the interpolation (that's why you will find 10 fields with random numbers). I got the same problem I described in this thread with this data.

For the record, the real data format is double and the points are not so far from each other.

0 Kudos