Server admin connection in Pro ?

Jump to solution
10-01-2019 01:16 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm configuring a new enterprise deployment and have some limited experience connecting to a standalone server prior to 10.6.1. In Catalog when adding a new Server, I could connect using 3 options - Use, Publish, Administer.  I could add an "admin" connection to the Server in Catalog, and perform some admin functions through that connection by right clicking and going to Server Properties.

I've tried replicating this with my new setup in Pro on a Federated Server and Portal and no matter what server address, port, and/or login I use, Pro just connects as a user (even if I use an admin account from Portal) and there are no admin or management functions tied to that connection. Am I missing something or is that how Esri unfortunately designed it? I've tried the Add ArcGIS Server connection in Pro and as soon as I type in the address of my server, it grays out the Authentication box.

How do I manage my Server in Pro? Or can't I anymore? Does Pro not give us those 3 options anymore? I'm assuming no because those roles are now tied to Portal users and roles? Could this be any more confusing?

Update: I was able to create an Admin connection in Catalog 10.6.1 using the server admin address and the Portal admin account. So that works in Catalog. Can we no longer do that in Pro?

Tags (1)
21 Replies
JackFanZhang
Occasional Contributor

Robert's comments about sharing map/feature layer is correct. However to share a Geoprocessing service you still need connect the federated server as admin. And that's where I got stuck as the user type option is greyed out for me though I have portal admin role. 

PriscillaThoopthong
New Contributor III

Did you ever solve this?  I'm also trying to connect to a federated server as admin and cannot change the user type.  I'm actually trying to use the ManageMapServerCacheTiles tool in a standalone python3 script but I keep getting an error ERROR 001265: Admin or publisher connection required.  I've tried logging in to my portal with a admin user but still get this error.

0 Kudos
MitchJohnson
New Contributor III

Just to check - you are logged in to your portal in Pro and are trying to share via the "Share" tab in the top ribbon?  This should automatically select your portal to publish to.  Then you want to make sure the right server is identified within the share pane under "Location".  This is where I got tripped up trying to publish to a different server.

0 Kudos
PriscillaThoopthong
New Contributor III

I'm logged into my portal with an admin user in my python script (outside of pro).  But even using the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles geoprocessing tool within ArcPro I get an error when I choose my connection to my federated server and then choose the tiled map service.  ESRI support told me today that it only works with non-federated servers.  This makes no sense.

PriscillaThoopthong_0-1636051469175.png

0 Kudos
JamesCueno
New Contributor III

Five months down the road I'm sure this isn't helpful, but documentation for the next person who finds this thread....

If you are in Pro and logged into your Federated Portal as an admin and trying to update your cache, don't point the tool directly at the server connection, point it instead at the content as delivered from Portal.  If you expand the Input Service box it will show the REST endpoint you expect to see instead of a reference to an ags in your project.

ErikLash1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to recreate tile cache in a federated server. Your solution should be added to ESRIs documentation. 

pdusza
by
New Contributor

Thanks James, I agree that your solution needs to be added to Esri Documentation!

Brownschuh
Occasional Contributor II

Glad I found this thread.  I agree with ErikLash1 and pdusza, this should be in the documentation for federated server publishing/cache creation.  I was so used to publishing at the 10.4.1 level I figured it had to be the same workflow ... well it is but it isn't haha.  So many little things you would never think of are different, especially if you have moved from a simple to a federated setup.

0 Kudos
RonHolmes
New Contributor II

This solved my issue.  For managing map server cache tiles, point the geoprocessing tool to the portal service, not the server connection entry.  Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
sl_dsny
New Contributor II

Hi all.

I feel like there still hasn't been a solution provided to the administration of the services on ArcGIS Pro. The replies have been useful for sharing services (publishing and overwriting services).

I get that publishing/sharing is its own separate entity now in Pro but what if a GIS admin wants to start/stop/restart/delete services in ArcGIS Pro just like how it is in ArcCatalog? That's what the original poster was asking about.

Yes I can go to the web server manager or go back to ArcCatalog but that sounds like the opposite of integration. Am I missing a step here that allows the server connection to be Admin instead of User in Pro?