Server 10.2(.2) REST changes

07-29-2014 10:30 AM
DaveOrlando
Occasional Contributor III

Is there any documents or white papers on the changes made to the REST services. I've read from other posts that it communicates entirely through JSON now. I'm no where near an expert on communication protocol but something has changed along the line somewhere.

My Silverlight application (API 3.1) is having intermittent trouble with the QueryTask. some posts are suggesting that it can't communicate properly with JSON

Extremely tough to read about stuff like this ahead of time so you don't know you're in trouble until it's too late.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

here you can see help of Rest: ArcGIS REST API

Help of Query on Map Service Layer: ArcGIS REST API - Query (Map Service\Layer)

pheede-esri
Esri Contributor

Dave,

The ArcGIS Server REST API specification has evolved over time since its introduction in ArcGIS Server 9.3, but it has always fundamentally been built on HTTP requests carrying a JSON payload (with a couple of other formats supported as well). Your Silverlight application built against previous versions of ArcGIS Server should work unchanged against newer versions of ArcGIS Server including 10.2.x assuming the same services are published and available.

One exception to this which you may be running into is a security feature called Standardized Queries that was introduced in 10.2. See the ArcGIS for Server (Windows) - What's new in ArcGIS 10.2 for Server topic for a brief introduction and ArcGIS Help 10.2: About standardized queries‌ for a full description.

If you are using DBMS specific syntax in your queries that were originally built against older versions of ArcGIS Server, you could be running into this feature. In that case you can either rewrite your queries to conform to the limitations of standardized queries or you can simply turn the standardized queries feature off by following the instructions in the help topic I linked to. Since this is a security feature, I'd encourage you to consider rewriting the queries if possible rather than disabling the feature.

Sincerely,
Philip Heede

ArcGIS Server Product Manager

DaveOrlando
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks very much Phillip,

This is probably what I'm running into, although I won't be able to test until I get a 10.2 dev box running.

I appreciate the specific answer.

Dave

0 Kudos