Server 10.1 Manager Issue

02-14-2013 10:41 AM
JuliaDalton
New Contributor
My manager site will not pull up. I'm trying to create a new site, but I cannot even connect to the manager site. It says internet explorer cannot display webpage. The hostname, etc..is right. Anyone know of anything else I can try to fix it?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
This may sound simple, but try clearing the browser cache.
0 Kudos
ThomasMontefusco
Occasional Contributor II
Bubba is right, try that first. If still a problem, check that your hostname does not contain special characters (this can cause problems). This includes spaces, asterisks (*), underscores (_), ampersands (&), etc.

If that's not the problem, start up Task Manager. these processes should be running:

java.exe
javaw.exe
ArcGISServer.exe
rmid.exe
cmd.exe
conhost.exe

If still a problem, try this:

Stop ArcGIS Server Service
Stop ANY arcgis server services that are owned by the "arcgis user" (check Task Manager)
Start ArcGIS Server Service
Try to create site again.
0 Kudos
VipulBhatia1
New Contributor II
Try the following:

1) In the Windows services panel, stop the ArcGIS Server service.

2) Open the Task Manager and verify that there are no java.exe or rmid.exe processes remaining that are running as the 'Log On As' account that the ArcGIS Server service is assigned.

3) In Windows Explorer, rename your c:\arcgisserver folder. If your configuration store and server directories are in a different location, rename the root directories for those as well.

4) Navigate to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc and delete the config-store-connection.xml and machine-config.xml files if they exist.

5) Restart the ArcGIS Server windows service.

6) Open a new browser session and open Manager.

7) Run through the CreateSite wizard.
0 Kudos
JustinRodriguez
Occasional Contributor
Hello,
This problem can be caused by a couple of different issues, but the majority of the time it is because of name resolution. I know that you said in an earlier thread that the name was correct, but that does not mean that the ip address that the name resolves to is correct.

First make sure your service is running. If your ArcGIS Server Service isn't running then the issue is different.

Do you have more than one NIC? If so connect to manager with the specific IP for each NIC to see if any of them work. for instance:
http://<IPNIC1>:6080/Arcgis/Manager
http://<IPNIC2>:6080/ArcGIS/Manager

See if any of those work.

If you only have one NIC, go to a notepad, right click and run as admin if you are using vista (2008) or above, select file / open and navigate to:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts  (you may need to change the file type from text to "all files")
add an entry like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Save the file and see if that corrects your issue. If there are a lot of entries in your etc/hosts file, comment them out as a test. Only leave the entry above. To comment an entry do the following:
#10.10.10.10 ten.com

Just add the "#" in front of the line.

Oh and I almost forgot. Do all of these tests from the local server.

Please let me know if that works for you. Thank you-

Justin
0 Kudos
ChrisDistler
New Contributor II
Has Service Pack 1 been installed?
0 Kudos
ChrisDistler
New Contributor II
Here is an ESRI patch for SP1 that allows special characters in the username for Server Manager.

Issues Addressed with this Patch

NIM086291 - Unable to log in to ArcGIS Server Manager with accounts that contain non-English characters.
NIM086332 - Unable to log in to ArcGIS Server Manager with usernames that contain a period.

http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/66/metaid/1946
0 Kudos