SDE permissions to groups

Jump to solution
04-24-2019 11:07 AM
LisaT
by
Occasional Contributor III

I can't seem to figure out how to add Active Directory groups to my SDE database in 10.6.  In Catalog, I can go to "Administration" and "Add User", but those are for individual users.  The only way I can fathom is to connect to SQL Studio Manager and add the group manually to the database and tables.  However, there are all sorts of schema tables and stored procedures that seem to need to be added.  Doesn't seem like that is the proper way to do it.  Any suggestions?

We are using 10.6 and have SQL. The database is an .sde database.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LisaT
by

Thanks, George. I guess my question is what the "workflow above" is.  I think I figured it out.  I guess I have to connect manually to the database in SQL Management Studio (don't need to relate to the tables).  Then open Catalog and skip the step of adding the user to the database in Catalog but relate the tables to the user from there.  So: right-click on each table and go to "manage" and then "privileges".  This allows me to select permissions on each table and will also add the user to any related schema/stored procedure tables.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can add AD groups that are available in SQL Server via Catalog. You have to add the AD group(s) to the SQL Server instance first and map them to the SQL DB. The ArcGIS client does NOT add them to the SQL Server instance. Once it is mapped, the data owner can then add the AD group via the workflow above.

This also would apply to ArcGIS Pro client. Hopefully this helps.

Geodatabase

--- George T.
0 Kudos
LisaT
by

Thanks, George. I guess my question is what the "workflow above" is.  I think I figured it out.  I guess I have to connect manually to the database in SQL Management Studio (don't need to relate to the tables).  Then open Catalog and skip the step of adding the user to the database in Catalog but relate the tables to the user from there.  So: right-click on each table and go to "manage" and then "privileges".  This allows me to select permissions on each table and will also add the user to any related schema/stored procedure tables.

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Correct

--- George T.
0 Kudos