"You do not have permissions ..." when trying to send a notification

10-11-2021 11:53 PM
dstrigl
New Contributor III

I am trying to send a notification to a specific user on our ArcGIS Portal Server using Python, but get an error.

I am able to "login" and get the user,

from arcgis.gis import GIS

gis = GIS(url="https://???.?????.???/portal", username="???", password="???")

daniel = gis.users.get("???")
print(daniel.email)

but when I try to send a notification

gis.users.send_notification([daniel], "Hello", "Test", type="email")

I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\ArcGisPro\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py", line 2363, in send_notification
    return self._portal.con.post(url, params)['success']
  File "C:\ArcGisPro\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py", line 720, in post
    force_bytes=kwargs.pop('force_bytes', False))
  File "C:\ArcGisPro\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py", line 514, in _handle_response
    self._handle_json_error(data['error'], errorcode)
  File "C:\ArcGisPro\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py", line 536, in _handle_json_error
    raise Exception(errormessage)
Exception: You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation.
(Error Code: 403)

Any idea what's the problem?

Thanks and regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @dstrigl,

Did you update the Email Settings in the Portal Administrator Directory?

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/administration/whats-new-in-arcgis-enter...

0 Kudos
dstrigl
New Contributor III

Yes, and sending the test mail works fine!

0 Kudos
mgress12
New Contributor III

Getting the same error when attempting to send a built in type notification as an admin using Portal v10.7.1. I see the email configuration references 10.8.1.

Can we send built in notifications using Portal 10.7.1?

0 Kudos
DavidMcCorkindale1
New Contributor III

Did you ever find a resolution to this?  I'm having the same issue on at Enterprise 11

0 Kudos
dstrigl
New Contributor III

Answer about the problem from ESRI:

"The Create Notification operation in the Portal Sharing REST API is not supported in ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Online. As such, the Create Notification operation has been removed from the Supported Operations list in Portal Self starting in ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.9.1."

See also:

BUG-000143137: When running the Create Notification task from Porta.. (esri.com)

0 Kudos