Publishing a feature service using a versioned feature class

Jump to solution
10-24-2012 02:05 PM
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III
I have been successfully publishing map services with data from my Enterprise SDE (SQL Server) geodatabase.  The database is registered for use with Server map services.

I am now attempting to create a feature service for editing data within my Flex viewer.  The feature class is trails and the feature class is versioned for editing.  I have created a new public version for the trails feature class and it is the only layer in my mxd.  Permissions to the trails data have my ArcGIS Server account (a Windows domain account) granted with select, insert, update, and delete.  When I go to publish the mxd as a feature service, the Analyze process throws an error saying the feature service requires a registered database.

It appears that my version is not recognized as being registered, even though the SDE database in which this feature class is stored is registered.  Are there some extra steps when publishing a feature service using a versioned feature class?
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Brian,

... It appears that my version is not recognized as being registered, even though the SDE database in which this feature class is stored is registered. Are there some extra steps when publishing a feature service using a versioned feature class?

Short answer is "no" to your question. I suspect what happened is this:

1. You defined your data store that references your ArcSDE geodatabase, by referencing a .sde connection file. The connection file referenced a specific version in the geodatabase (e.g., possibly the DEFAULT version).

2. You created a new public version for the trails feature class, and attempt to publish this in a map service with feature access enabled.

3. When ArcMap performs the analyze, it throws the "feature service requires a registered database" error, because it is checking for the specific version in the geodatabase that is specified in the connection file used by your data store. This is a different version than the one being referenced by the trails feature class.

Please try defining a new data store, that uses a different .sde connection file - that references your new public version used by the trails feature class.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DerekLaw
Hi Brian,

... It appears that my version is not recognized as being registered, even though the SDE database in which this feature class is stored is registered. Are there some extra steps when publishing a feature service using a versioned feature class?

Short answer is "no" to your question. I suspect what happened is this:

1. You defined your data store that references your ArcSDE geodatabase, by referencing a .sde connection file. The connection file referenced a specific version in the geodatabase (e.g., possibly the DEFAULT version).

2. You created a new public version for the trails feature class, and attempt to publish this in a map service with feature access enabled.

3. When ArcMap performs the analyze, it throws the "feature service requires a registered database" error, because it is checking for the specific version in the geodatabase that is specified in the connection file used by your data store. This is a different version than the one being referenced by the trails feature class.

Please try defining a new data store, that uses a different .sde connection file - that references your new public version used by the trails feature class.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Derek,

Your assumptions accurately describe the situation.  Can you point me to a help document that describes how one creates a .sde connection file to a specific version of a feature class?  The 'Add Database Connection' is straightforward but appears to not have the granularity to reach "inside" a geodatabase to specify a particular version.  I am obviously missing something that is likely very simple.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Brian,

Can you point me to a help document that describes how one creates a .sde connection file to a specific version of a feature class?

You can use the Create ArcSDE Connection File tool in ArcToolbox > Data Management toolbox > Workspace toolset.

Create ArcSDE Connection File (Data Management)

You can select a different version to connect to.

Hope this helps,
BrianOevermann
Derek,

Thank you for the pointer.  I am using direct connections to SDE so needed to use the 'Create Database Connection' instead.  But your response got me on the right track.
0 Kudos
BenjaminDwinal
New Contributor II
Have a feature setup. All seems to be setup properly. However, getting this error and unable to commit updates through the feature service.

Internal Server Error. Error handling service request: Could not service request. java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling return header; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

I have a local arcgis account on the GIS server that is running the Service.  we are using DB auth. Does the DB need to have this same user account with edit permissions?

Thanks
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Benjamin,

I have a local arcgis account on the GIS server that is running the Service.  we are using DB auth. Does the DB need to have this same user account with edit permissions?

Sorry for the late reply, I was out on business travel. Yes, you'll need to add the ArcGIS account as a valid database user for DB authentication.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
LangdonSanders2
Occasional Contributor

4 years later and this is still helpful! My issue was number 1). I had to copy the connection file referencing a specific version to my server, then registered data base via that connection file and the source was recognized.

Thanks Derek Law​!

DerekLaw

Hi Langdon,

I am glad to hear that you found the info helpful and that your issue is resolved.

Best,

0 Kudos
HeatherSavage
New Contributor III

This is an old thread, but I found this information to be extremely helpful as well when trying to figure out how to register versioned data:  How To: Register different versions of the same database