Proper way to test if ArcGIS Server Enterprise is down

Jump to solution
01-28-2020 06:16 AM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I would like to automatize an health check on our ArcGIS Server Enterprise in order to alert the administrators by email if ArcGIS Server is not responding for any reason.

What is the proper way to achieve that? Is there a service in the admin REST API that could be used for that?

Edit:

I see there is a Health Check in the REST API. I wonder, in a case where the RAM of the server is full and most of the map services cannot resolved, does the Health Check will returns an error?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanielSimmons
New Contributor III

Have you looked into ArcGIS Monitor? You can set up notifications/alerts/emails based on certain triggers. Check it out https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/monitor/

View solution in original post

6 Replies
NathanielSimmons
New Contributor III

Have you looked into ArcGIS Monitor? You can set up notifications/alerts/emails based on certain triggers. Check it out https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/monitor/

MaximeDemers

Thank you, I'll take a look at this product.

0 Kudos
MaximeDemers

Nathaniel, do you know if Monitor require a separate licence? Do you know if it has to be installed on a separate or on the same server used by ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
NathanielSimmons
New Contributor III

Yes, it seems like it requires a specific license and it also has to be installed on the same server. I found some helpful FAQ documentation here: ArcGIS Monitor Documents

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
MoginrajMohandas
New Contributor III

The HealthCheck on ArcGIS Server is a good way to know the health of the Server and a reasonably good indication of whether services are available for use. There is a similar healthcheck in Portal for ArcGIS as well that you can look into. 

I wonder, in a case where the RAM of the server is full and most of the map services cannot resolved, does the Health Check will returns an error?

You can use the Hardware configuration resource to check the hardware resources information for ArcGIS Server and take action accordingly.

Having said this, ArcGIS Monitor is a good product to look into to as Nathaniel suggested. There's a lot of alerts and other features built-in.

MaximeDemers

Hi Moginraj, thanks for your reply.

I think that the hardware configuration resource REST API provides info about the specs of the server but not its state. For instance, reading from the doc, it does not returns the current RAM in use or the current CPU usage.

0 Kudos