Problem Publishing to ArcGIS Server 10.6

Jump to solution
07-05-2018 09:39 AM
NathanKoski
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I have a clean new setup of ArcGIS server 10.6, and I am trying to publish a service to it.

I am attempting this via the server manager>manage services>publish service

I am able to select my .SD and upload it, however, then I receive the error:

" java.lang.Exception: Error while processing request. Internal error. JSON response not set."

I am unable to determine the source of the error, and digging through the Windows Events results in nothing.

On this server, we also have the Web Adapter setup and configured with trusted CA certs, and with Geoevent Server.

I am unsure what this error might be referring to, and I am having a hard time tracing it back to the problem. Any input would be amazing.

Best Wishes,

Nate

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanKoski
New Contributor III

It is funny that you should mention it possibly being a permission problem. After briefly discussing Michael Volz‌'s reply we thought perhaps we could just try and take down the Geoevent role from the server to see if that helps. This being a new server, with nothing running yet. Well, it turns out we never actually provisioned/authorized an ArcGIS Server licenses in the first place, just the geoevent one! After authorizing that everything works fine, but I really wish that it would have simply told me it was a permissions problem and not this generic "Internal Error." I feel silly to have not realized this in the first place. 

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you know if it is supported to have the ArcGIS Server role and GeoEvent Server role on the same machine?  I thought in the documentation this might be indicated that these 2 roles are required to be on different machines.

0 Kudos
NathanKoski
New Contributor III

It is regarded as a best practice to publish the services and federate the server with Portal, but not required. It depends on what type of load you are going to be handling. So far nothing is running on the Geoevent Server, so that isn't the issue I believe.

Also, our dev environment, which is almost the exact same, worked with both systems running on the same machine. (This is a new Test environment.)

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

set logging to debug and try again. Also, how is the data being referenced? From an SDE, PTL Hosted Data Store, non-federated server data store, FGDB on a network share? I'm thinking you have a permission problem somewhere. 

0 Kudos
NathanKoski
New Contributor III

It is funny that you should mention it possibly being a permission problem. After briefly discussing Michael Volz‌'s reply we thought perhaps we could just try and take down the Geoevent role from the server to see if that helps. This being a new server, with nothing running yet. Well, it turns out we never actually provisioned/authorized an ArcGIS Server licenses in the first place, just the geoevent one! After authorizing that everything works fine, but I really wish that it would have simply told me it was a permissions problem and not this generic "Internal Error." I feel silly to have not realized this in the first place. 

Thanks for your help!

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

This is a legitimate usability issue that cost time for you to investigate. I'd suggest logging a case with Esri support to relay your experience here and to request a bug/enhancement for better error handling in cases like this. It's great you figured this out, but in the long run it's going to frustrate more users. From where I sit, little annoyances like this result in cases for Support Services, which cost Esri a lot more than you'd expect per case. If we can make an easy improvement to the product to avoid some of those calls, it's a big win for everyone. Low hanging fruit!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would say at the least you should create an Idea for better logging of ArcGIS Server as an Idea on GeoNet.

0 Kudos