Problem publishing first map service to new site

04-04-2013 07:11 AM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
I've got a multi-machine 10.1 site that's been chugging along for a while.  It's got 20+ map/feature services working.

I've pulled one machine from that site and created a new, separate single machine site to do some testing of stuff.  Everything is like the first site (above) except my directories are at ....\arcgisserver_test_site and not the default ....\arcgisserver.  Same shared network drive, same everything.

When I fire up Arcmap and attempt to publish a map service to the new site, I get to the "Service Editor", successfully "analyze", click "publish" and get a "packaging succeeded, but publishing failed" error.  It also says, "Failed to execute.  Parameters are not valid.  Please consult the GP results Window..."

The GP results message says,

"Start Time: Thu Apr 04 09:02:11 2013
Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000735: Server: Value is required
Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).
Failed at Thu Apr 04 09:02:11 2013 (Elapsed Time: 0.00 seconds)"

The help documentation on that error is not very helpful, simply reiterating that a parameter value required by the tool was missing.

Does anyone have insight into what is going on here?

Thanks,
-Royce
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II
I've got a multi-machine 10.1 site that's been chugging along for a while.  It's got 20+ map/feature services working.

I've pulled one machine from that site and created a new, separate single machine site to do some testing of stuff.  Everything is like the first site (above) except my directories are at ....\arcgisserver_test_site and not the default ....\arcgisserver.  Same shared network drive, same everything.

When I fire up Arcmap and attempt to publish a map service to the new site, I get to the "Service Editor", successfully "analyze", click "publish" and get a "packaging succeeded, but publishing failed" error.  It also says, "Failed to execute.  Parameters are not valid.  Please consult the GP results Window..."

The GP results message says,

"Start Time: Thu Apr 04 09:02:11 2013
Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000735: Server: Value is required
Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).
Failed at Thu Apr 04 09:02:11 2013 (Elapsed Time: 0.00 seconds)"

The help documentation on that error is not very helpful, simply reiterating that a parameter value required by the tool was missing.

Does anyone have insight into what is going on here?

Thanks,
-Royce

Royce,

Have you confirmed the validity of the ArcGIS Server connection (.ags file) that you selected while working through the publish service wizard?  The GP results message seems to indicate that it was somehow either missing or not valid.

When I run into problems with these bigger, "black-box" operations in Arc I sometimes like to isolate the underlying tool that is failing.  In this case, it is the "Upload Service Definition" GP tool that is bombing out as part of the publish operation.

You could try locating the Service Definition (.sd) file in your Staging folder and executing the "Upload Service Definition" file tool manually.  That should give you some nice visibility into the parameters being used to call the tool and whether or not something is perhaps invalid.

"Upload Service Definition" can be found in the System Toolboxes, under "Server Tools.tbx" --> "Publishing".

Double-clicking the tool result entry in the GP Results window will also "reconstitute" the initial tool execution, which would serve as a good starting point.
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Thanks Erin,
I've tried as you've suggested by running the "upload service definition" tool, after successfully staging an SD file locally on my Desktop PC.  I get an error in that tool stating that the service definition ID is incorrect and the that SD file is corrupt.  The help documentation suggests recreating the SD file... which I've done several times.  So that leaves me back at being stuck.  I tried uploading the same SD file from a coworkers ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 SP1 PC as well, with the same results.
0 Kudos
StephanieSnider
simpsonr,
Did you find a solution to "Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition)" errror?
0 Kudos
LeeJayDillon
New Contributor
I'm somewhat in the same boat as the OP.
I have a connection to our production instance of server manager but can't publish to it. I have a dev/uat connection that is setup almost exactly the same way that works to publish. I get an error saying "unable to connect to publishing tool service. Verify the service is up and running."
I have verified it's running and was able to publish from server manager using the same SD file from my desktop.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
LukeCatania
New Contributor III

Had this same issue.  I deleted the connection to the server in Catalog and recreated it and it worked.

PeterGranberg
New Contributor III

I had the same issue that appeared after I upgraded my ArcMap from 10.5.1 to 10.7.1. The GP results revealed that the server parameter was NOT automatically assigned when I shared the map as a service (overwrite existing). From the same mxd document opened on another computer with the same desktop version (10.7.1) it worked. By deleting and recreating the ags-connection (admin), I got it to work again.

0 Kudos