Portal Web Map Filter/Search Case Sensitivity

11-06-2018 01:48 PM
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I have recently changed the data source for some of the web maps I have on Portal from Microsoft SQL Server to PostgreSQL.

What comes along with this is Microsoft SQL is not case sensitive, while PostgreSQL is case sensitive. While I can take case sensitivity into consideration in ArcMap when searching by attribute (such as using LOWER(field name)), I do not know of a way to do this through Portal web maps when filtering by attributes.

I have end users that would like to be able to filter, but don't necessarily know the case of the letters when filtering. Is there a way to use UPPER/LOWER functions in the Portal web maps like in ArcMap when selecting by attribute? Or any other method of searching by attribute without it being case sensitive?

4 Replies
JessicaNeuner1
New Contributor II

We noticed similar behavior with filters in the web map, in our case using the ArcGIS Data Store (which i believe is also PostgreSQL). Super confusing for our users when they get different result sets with "cost" vs "Cost".

We're on 10.6.1 here.

RyanUthoff

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. I would really like a way for users to be able to search non-case-sensitive words in the web map.

JessicaNeuner1
New Contributor II

Hi Ryan -- I wound up reaching out to technical support about this issue and they submitted a bug! here's the reference: BUG-000119443 : Queries on services in Portal for ArcGIS are case sensitive

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

That's great to hear! Thank you for calling about it.