Portal for ArcGIS upgrade from 10.6.1 to 10.7 failed

04-25-2019 02:57 AM
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

I faced an error while upgrading from Portal for ArcGIS 10.6.1 to Portal for ArcGIS 10.7.

The following error occurred during the upgrade:

Digging into the log in C:\arcgisportal\logs\FQDN\portal, I noticed the following error:

<Msg time="2019-04-25T10:19:54,94" type="INFO" code="209081" source="Portal Admin" process="3436" thread="1" methodName="" machine="FQDN" user="" elapsed="" requestID="">Postgres DB upgrade response

could not open version file: C:\arcgisportal\db/PG_VERSION

Failure, exiting

.</Msg>

As you can noticed, there is a mix of backslash and forwardslash as the file does exist in C:\arcgisportal\db\PG_VERSION but of course C:\arcgisportal\db/PG_VERSION is not a correct path.

Operating System details: Windows Server 2016 Standard

Any idea ?

Thanks

21 Replies
NicolasGIS

Any thought Jonathan Quinn‌ ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Hm, seems like that'd be a problem, but then any environment upgrading to 10.7 would see that problem. What locale are you using? Try to run ProcMon and filter for that path during the upgrade to see what errors are logged.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Not helpful now but don't upgrade until 10.7.1 or so we have been secretly advised.

In truth we have made it a policy to NOT upgrader our Portal/Server until several months after an upgrade. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Is that advice based on technical issues with the software or the updated product lifecycle?

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS

Thanks for the reply.

I do have this phenomena every time I want to upgrade.

I run a clean DSC installation and then try to upgrade and get this error.

Sorry but which path should I look for ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

We just installed Portal and started populating it this week.

We had Server older version on.

We initially did a preliminary load of Portal 10.5 I think it was. And when 10.6 came out we tried to upgrade right away.

Similar issue. the only way we could fix it without spending millions in ESRI tech support was to do a clean install on a new machine and porting data over.  This was only a test run so we were lucky.  We are not going to change our portal over at least now till December or so.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Bugs/issues don't get fixed unless there are specific patches to address them, so waiting to install the same version will still present the problem.

That error isn't something specifically addressed even at 10.7.1 so it sounds like it may be an environmental type problem that we'd need to get to the bottom of. We run through a significant amount of upgrade testing and never ran into this, which points more to something specific within those environments.

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

We wait until the patches have been coming out. Hopefully avoiding the issues.  And it tends to work pretty well.

0 Kudos
BarbaraS
Occasional Contributor

We do the same. Upgrading to 10.7.1 as we speak (and I got the same error message, so that is why I am here), even though 10.8 got released yesterday. It is the safest to wait for the first patches, always.

0 Kudos