Poor Dashboard Performance

Jump to solution
07-10-2020 06:54 AM
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I am experiencing some poor dashboard performance and I'm not sure how to determine the root cause of the issue.

I am running ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 and all of the data is hosted in MS SQL EGDB using a regular feature service. I am not using any hosted feature services for this dashboard.

The web map itself is running fine. I can pan around, scroll in and out and the web map is very responsive. I have no performance issues within the web map itself.

When I use that same web map and put it in a dashboard and start adding widgets, the dashboard performance is very poor. The widgets will just sit there and load for a minute or two, then I get a yellow exclamation mark saying "Cannot access data." If I refresh the dashboard web page 3-5 times, eventually all of the widgets load.

When viewing the internet traffic, I can see that a lot of the requests eventually time out after one minute. I check the ArcGIS Server logs, and I do not receive any error messages. No time out errors or anything. When I check the number of instances the feature service is using, it is using about 5 of 16 instances, so I am not running out of instances. There are about 20,000 records in the tables, but I set the maximum number of records to be returned by the server well above 20,000. Also, the maximum time a client can use a service is 600 seconds.

At this point, I am kind of at a loss of what this issue could be besides it being a limitation of the dashboard widgets. I would have thought that the dashboard would be able to handle widgets pulling from tables with 20,000 records, but maybe that is too much for the dashboard to handle? Any suggestions or troubleshooting steps I could look into?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanUthoff

I am referring to ArcGIS Dashboards. I apologize if my terminology was incorrect, I refer to the Dashboard pie charts, gauges, etc. as widgets.

It turns out the issue was a spatial index issue. The widgets in question were views and not the base tables, and the indexes we have access to through Esri weren't helping. Luckily our DBA was able to create some additional indexes through SSMS that greatly improved the performance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Are you using ArcGIS Dashboards (formerly Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS) or ArcGIS Web AppBuilder with the dashboard theme? I ask - only because you mention "widgets" - which would imply the latter.

If you are using ArcGIS Dashboards, please take a look at this help topic

Build highly scalable dashboards—ArcGIS Dashboards | Documentation 

Hope this helps,

RyanUthoff

I am referring to ArcGIS Dashboards. I apologize if my terminology was incorrect, I refer to the Dashboard pie charts, gauges, etc. as widgets.

It turns out the issue was a spatial index issue. The widgets in question were views and not the base tables, and the indexes we have access to through Esri weren't helping. Luckily our DBA was able to create some additional indexes through SSMS that greatly improved the performance.

0 Kudos