Polygon with no geometry or null geometry

Jump to solution
05-08-2023 12:42 PM
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

It is very easy to have a polygon with a NULL attribute field but is it possible to have a polygon feature class and have a feature with NULL geometry?  I would like to do this without the complexity of a versioned database or a related table? 

This would be useful for parcel data when a parcel ID is retired - for example when two adjacent parcels are amalgamated and one or both parcel ID's are retired and replaced by a new parcel ID.  Our parcel data is managed by our Land Registry Office.  We receive daily copies of the parcel data as a simple polygon featrue class but it only includes all of the active parcel IDs.  Many government services reference the parcel ID.  It is a problem when someone tries to search our parcel map service with a retired parcel ID.  There is no way for our service to indicate the user is searching for a retired parcel ID.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Bernie.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Select your record(s) and Field Calculate (Python)

SHAPE=

None

but.. I'd really recommend your archive everything properly and have an archiving process set up/defined before you start doing this.  It strongly suggest you just use another field to filter/definition query your data instead, as when the geometry is gone, it's gone.  But in a simple answer to your question, the above should work.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Select your record(s) and Field Calculate (Python)

SHAPE=

None

but.. I'd really recommend your archive everything properly and have an archiving process set up/defined before you start doing this.  It strongly suggest you just use another field to filter/definition query your data instead, as when the geometry is gone, it's gone.  But in a simple answer to your question, the above should work.